Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 7.25 speakers last year and put them in. Initially I did not go with the "mat" on the outer fairing but have since put it in. It helped with the bass but bass not as strong as I prefer. I bought the amp and have yet to install it but have heard a bike with one on it and big improvement.

At the end of the day, my tin ear can't discern the difference between 50 dollar speakers and 5000 dollar speakers especially at cruising speed on a bike with a Fatcat exhaust. That being said, the J&M setup does sound much better than the stockers and I wasn't seeing many less expensive options with the same results.

As suggested, contact J&M if you are unhappy with your purchase. John is on the forum and does stand behind his products.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a set of J&M 7.25s on my 09 SG. Sure, there's not a ton of bass but my stock speakers didn't have a ton of bass either. The J&Ms sound way better than stock speakers...I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to upgrade. I'm not running an amp either, and I realize they don't sound as good as they would with an amp, but I accepted that going in and that I'd need to wait and save for an amp.
Sorry you're not as happy with them as I am.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM
k9jj186
Advanced

i have a sony explode head i went and got sony explode 6 1/2 speakers and tweeters added them with cross overs no amp and it sounds awesome clear and the bass is good,speakers kit was 100 bucks got the bigger rings and done for less than 150

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I have heard of other people saying that they are 'tinny' as well. I have been told that's because of the magnet that J&M uses.

Originally Posted by Overdoo
About a year ago I installed a set of the stock size J&M's. I think they were three way speakers. I like you ran them with out an amp and the stock head unit at the time. My experience was that they sounded very tinny. Volume levels were no where where I could listen to them at highway speed and the sound was really worse than stock. I returned them. John and his customer service folks were great and didn't blink when I said I wanted to return them. I am now using Harley boom audio speakers again without an amp but with a Sony Marine grade radio from Biketronics and love it. Great volume and base response and the sound is very customizable .

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought them from American Classic on ebay. It took 2 weeks to finally get the right ones. They where out of stock 4 days after I bought them and then they shipped the wrong ones...I can't imagine what would happen if I asked to return them.

They still haven't refunded my return shipping I paid for on their screw up.

The headunit I got is great and works wonderfully and the hawg wired install it is rock solid. Between the metal cage that fits perfect and the machined aluminum trim, it' a well made install kit.

The speakers just kill the whole thing for me.

I just can't convince myself that an amp is going to change much....another $200 to even try.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
cooper57M
Tourer

I got them too. Not satisfied and not willing to throw more money into it for an amp.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper57M
I got them too. Not satisfied and not willing to throw more money into it for an amp.
what exactly are you using? headunit and what model J&Ms?

what is your issue with them?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Don' understand why those "not satisfied" with the speakers don't contact J&M so you could either get a refund or some help.

Guess the rest of us that have had great experiences with the J&M products are just audio neophytes?

Said it before, say it again. When I was researching audio options J&M products were very competitively priced compared to other options.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM
CC Rainman
Tourer

This happened to me a year ago. Bought the bike and hear people raving about the J&M's, so i get a pair because they claim no amp needed. Install the speakers and yes it's better then stock but not the the big deal that was advertised. So I decided maybe an amp will help. I get the Arc and it made a big difference but the sound quality still lacks in many aspects. I don't think they are what their hyped up to be and their amps are similar to the Arc's and Elf's or Wetsounds. I just sold my J&M's a couple of weeks ago and now I am waiting on my Hertz. I am still running a stock head unit and the Arc amp. Some of the guys on here have already gone this route with the Hertz and love them.
Shore be patient and listen to other systems. This is kind of a trial and error type of thing which can get costly.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM
HemiGlide69
Tourer

Originally Posted by shore
I bought them from American Classic on ebay. It took 2 weeks to finally get the right ones. They where out of stock 4 days after I bought them and then they shipped the wrong ones...I can't imagine what would happen if I asked to return them.

They still haven't refunded my return shipping I paid for on their screw up.

The headunit I got is great and works wonderfully and the hawg wired install it is rock solid. Between the metal cage that fits perfect and the machined aluminum trim, it' a well made install kit.

The speakers just kill the whole thing for me.

I just can't convince myself that an amp is going to change much....another $200 to even try.
I put the 7.25 J&M's in last year, wasn't impressed so I added the ELF 2125. Sounds awesome sittin still but still not impressed going down the road. Don't get me wrong, better than stock but still not impressed. When I spend $550 on audio upgrades that **** better blow me away and it did not..
I pretty much had the same response as you Shore, "Wheres the bass".
Then you get these ppl that say its not going to have the sound that a car audio system has! And I understand that but why do they charge so much for them?? I think they're worth about $100 maybe.... I still get upset just talkin about this...

Quick Reply: So I put these J&M 7.25's in.