Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Default So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

I got the 2-ohm and put them with a new sony headunit. No amp. 2-ohm will increase the wattage somewhat so they are getting some power. God forbid I got the 8-ohm.

Color me unimpressed. Maybe they need to break in? Maybe they only come alive with a amp? I don't know. $220 for speakers and I really feel yanked. I can't remember any 5 1/4's or 6's with this little bass.

They sound very clear and get loud but there is just really no low end to them. I have adjusted all the settings to get more bass but they just lack. I couldn't imagine anything having less bass-deep tones.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I cranked the bike up and could barely make out what was playing at idle. Yes, my bike is loud TD and CFR's but not that loud.

I'm all ears if I've done something wrong here.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Sony head unit are you using ??

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shore
I got the 2-ohm and put them with a new sony headunit. No amp. 2-ohm will increase the wattage somewhat so they are getting some power. God forbid I got the 8-ohm.

Color me unimpressed. Maybe they need to break in? Maybe they only come alive with a amp? I don't know. $220 for speakers and I really feel yanked. I can't remember any 5 1/4's or 6's with this little bass.

They sound very clear and get loud but there is just really no low end to them. I have adjusted all the settings to get more bass but they just lack. I couldn't imagine anything having less bass-deep tones.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I cranked the bike up and could barely make out what was playing at idle. Yes, my bike is loud TD and CFR's but not that loud.

I'm all ears if I've done something wrong here.
I don't know man? My J&M 7.25's sound great! Of course, I'm pumping them with the J&M 250 watt amp. Bass isn't bad at all. Sure, it's not "car audio" bass, but it's better bass than I've heard on any other bagger with just 2 fairing speakers. What did you have in there before, oem? Are you saying the J&M's are worse sounding that the oem speakers? If so, something has got to be wrong. My J&M's have way more bass than the stock speakers. Apples to Oranges! I think that amp makes a big diffence though.

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 02-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got um also with no amp. Their ok, buy like you said I was expecting a lil more. Yea their nice, but not all there hyped up to be... Maby I need an amp.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monumaker
I got um also with no amp. Their ok, buy like you said I was expecting a lil more. Yea their nice, but not all there hyped up to be... Maby I need an amp.
i have'm too with a sony head unit and no amp. i agree. better than stock and play loud but not worth the $$$ imho. way overrated....

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by monumaker

I'm thinking this too....I could have bought some $50 sony speakers and got these results. Not at all what I was expecting. I almost figured this when i opened the package up and saw these little magnets. Looks like a $10 speaker to be honest. People pay nearly $300 for these at the dealer after tax? I felt bad at $220. Pretty trick little adapter ring though. They got highs all day long...that I will say. Just zero bass. You can feel them hit a bit but any deeper bass is pointless. It's just not there.

Maybe they need some power behind them....I dunno.

The choice now is amp them or get some 6.5's and see how that goes.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
What Sony head unit are you using ??
Sony DSX-S100 52w x4 at 4-ohm.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
I don't know man? My J&M 7.25's sound great! Of course, I'm pumping them with the J&M 250 watt amp. Bass isn't bad at all. Sure, it's not "car audio" bass, but it's better bass than I've heard on any other bagger with just 2 fairing speakers. What did you have in there before, oem? Are you saying the J&M's are worse sounding that the oem speakers? If so, something has got to be wrong. My J&M's have way more bass than the stock speakers. Apples to Oranges! I think that amp makes a big diffence though.

see, this may be the thing also. It had no stereo, I have nothing to compare it to.....but still. It's just no low end.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default J&M SPeakers

About a year ago I installed a set of the stock size J&M's. I think they were three way speakers. I like you ran them with out an amp and the stock head unit at the time. My experience was that they sounded very tinny. Volume levels were no where where I could listen to them at highway speed and the sound was really worse than stock. I returned them. John and his customer service folks were great and didn't blink when I said I wanted to return them. I am now using Harley boom audio speakers again without an amp but with a Sony Marine grade radio from Biketronics and love it. Great volume and base response and the sound is very customizable .

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
GotHog?
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no audio expert but I believe that running 2ohm speakers from a 4ohm head unit can fry the head unit. Might do a little more research and see what you can find. If you find you need an amp do some looking for the ELF amp. All specs I have seen it is very comprable to the ARC audio but at about half the price. I have all my stereo stuff just waiting to go in. Good luck hope this helps.

Quick Reply: So I put these J&M 7.25's in.