Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
TheSter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the J&M 5.25s in my 08 SG last year and they sounded great with just the stock radio. Last month I installed the 7.25s with the J&M 250 watt amp and it will blow you away. Going down the road 70 to 80 mph, I only need to turn the volume between 1/4 and 1/2 and it sounds great. Sorry you don't think the sound is very good. I'm happy with them

Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Man, the opinions on these vary a lot.

I just don't hear any lower tones out of these at all. You can feel them hit a bit but that's it.

I should run to walmart and get some decent sony 5 1/4's and see if these blow them away.

You can buy some top O the line 6.5's for what these cost. There is no comparison in materials alone. I think this is the Harley tax in full swing.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,851 Likes on 11,564 Posts

I listened to the J&M 7.25" all last summer in my R/G.....with the
stock head unit.
Huge improvement over the stockers.....highs are audible and higher,
and bass is deeper.
I'm happy with mine......Maybe working construction for 38 years
has taken its toll on my hearing perception, and I'm oblivious to
what others hear and I don't.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
so what are some good 6.5" options that are reasonable.
Shore,

If you go to a nice car audio shop and shop with your EARS , and not your wallet, you might be surprised !!

Just go and listen to every brand out there,.and pick the one's that sound best to YOUR ear !!

Unfortunately for my wallet,...my ears liked the Boston Accoustic PRO 60 SE.

A 6 3/4' component speaker, that gets great revues, from a top notch company.

I listened to almost everything I could find, and liked these. The people that were also shopping there, liked something else better. Go figure.

Like they all tell you though: You won't get concert hall production out of 2 speakers and an amp in the fairing.

But,.............you can get something that will make you happy.

I'll be interested to see what you end up with. keep us posted !!

HAPPY HUNTING !!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
hdbagr
Cruiser

I'm with ya shore (I have a post in the J&M thread). They arent all they are cracked up to be, even in a fairing it should sound better for that kind of money! But i guess if you buy their amp (350.00) It will be just perfect!???? Lol! Make sure your wires are epoxied in the groove in the speaker , mine were not, they can get pinched between the speaker and speaker grill . Like i said before, sounds like a mouse singing soprano in a tin can! Oh well,Good luck!!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
DamnYankee
Advanced
Default Audiofile?

I don't consider myself one, but have played in bands all my life and been a "sound man", for 15+ years. Sound is purely a subjective matter. As some have said here, everyone hears things differently. I am definently a low end type listener/ sound tech. Sorry guys, without a serious enclosure, you're not going to get the frequency response below 200hz needed to get that ground/chest thumping base. I'd like more out of my sound system, but realize it ain't going to happen without the enclosures. No amount of power, classification of amps, not speaker type/magnet weight will ever get me where "I" want my bike sound system to be. I mean no offense to anyone here, just giving my 3 cents.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
I don't consider myself one, but have played in bands all my life and been a "sound man", for 15+ years. Sound is purely a subjective matter. As some have said here, everyone hears things differently. I am definently a low end type listener/ sound tech. Sorry guys, without a serious enclosure, you're not going to get the frequency response below 200hz needed to get that ground/chest thumping base. I'd like more out of my sound system, but realize it ain't going to happen without the enclosures. No amount of power, classification of amps, not speaker type/magnet weight will ever get me where "I" want my bike sound system to be. I mean no offense to anyone here, just giving my 3 cents.

I'm not after subwoofer type bass. I'm after some form of it....these just don't have it. Hopefully, the amp will wake them up.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

J&M still sticking fake plastic magnet "covers" over their magnets to make them look bigger than they are?

Between that crock o ****, and the CRAPTASTIC customer service I received from them a few years ago, they will NEVER get another cent of my money.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will always have some that say "mine sound great!!!" even when they know they don't sound like $275.00 dollars worth. It does take a big man to admit to spending twice as much as he had to, to get the same results. I get the the ones that like them all say the same thing "they sound better then stock" but with that being said so do the $100.00 hogtunes and my buddies $109.00 Rockford Fosgate blow the stock ones out of the water. So all upgraded speakers sound better then stock but why spend 275.00 for J&M's when the $100 ones do the same?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

I think I stumbled onto something from reading the big J&M amp/speaker install thread.

These guys that love these 7.25's and the 250w amp are all running the factory HD radio...which on newer models is a 2-ohm unit. ALL the aftermarket radio units are 4-ohm. That's a big input signal loss.

That means this J&M amp/speaker set-up only works that well on factory radio systems.

I bet Dr V-twin and John don't chime in on this.

I bought the J&M's AFTER calling and asking about the Sony headunit and which speakers where to be used.

This little cat needs out of the bag if this is the case.

Quick Reply: So I put these J&M 7.25's in.