Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Inspector12,

I'm not an audiophile so I have no idea about bias in audio reviews that present data from measuring instruments, nor am I familiar with what might be considered as "industry standards" for measuring amps and speakers.

I was more interested in JMJOHN's basis for claiming highest "efficiency" and "best sounding" for the 7.25" speakers. The use of the test report on the ARC equipment was illustrative of the measureable data that was used in that particular report. Hogtunes has similar data in their Tech zone measuring sound from various speakers. So there appears to be measuring equipment that is used to evaluate amps and speakers and asked if J&M had some data using measuring equipment that may use "industry standards."

Carl

Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Inspector12,

I'm not an audiophile so I have no idea about bias in audio reviews that present data from measuring instruments, nor am I familiar with what might be considered as "industry standards" for measuring amps and speakers.

I was more interested in JMJOHN's basis for claiming highest "efficiency" and "best sounding" for the 7.25" speakers. The use of the test report on the ARC equipment was illustrative of the measureable data that was used in that particular report. Hogtunes has similar data in their Tech zone measuring sound from various speakers. So there appears to be measuring equipment that is used to evaluate amps and speakers and asked if J&M had some data using measuring equipment that may use "industry standards."

Carl
Hi Carl, I too am interested in JM John's info. I wasn't meaning to smear the info you provided, just wondering if an under informed guy like myself could trust the sources. Not all reviews are written by Consumer Reports..

Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ethal68
Send me a set of 7.25's, if they sound better than my current speakers, I will buy them, hands down.
Order a pair, it you don't like them, ask for a refund.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this just made my day! I am expecting delivery of some 7.25s just any day!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

harleypnigman ,,,,,

I have been in the motorcycle audio business for over 33 years and I listen to this stuff all the time ,,,,

I have had a new Harley Ultra every year since they first came out in 1989 ,,,,,my own 2011 model is the RoadGlide version of the Ultra ,,

I listen and compare all J&M products to our competitors on a very regular basis ,,,,,

I know what I like to hear on my Harleys and I think this is in line with what most of our customers want to hear ,,,,, whether sitting in our garage or out on the highway enjoying a ride ,,,,,

BUT ,,,, if you want something a little more scientific from a gentleman who probably knows a lot more about this stuff than ANY of us ,,,, go here http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...25speakers.php ,,,,,,,

Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Wow this just made my day! I am expecting delivery of some 7.25s just any day!
I have had a set of J&M 7.25 speakers in my Street Glide for about a year now. I just installed their amp as well. To my ears the system sounds fine but then this is on a stage II 103 with a D&D Fatcat. System may not produce the bass of other systems, I don't know. All I know is the speakers sounded better that then stock ones by themselves and sound even better with the amp.

As stated, J&M offers a guarantee and have refunded the purchase price to folks that weren't happy.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

in addition ,,, for those who have or have not seen the half-as_ed video we did on our ROKKER Harley Street Glide ,,,, go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIcWjYISRE ,,,,,,,

at the end of the video ,,,, the sound you hear is actually from the internal mike on the my little SONY video camera, maybe 30ft-50ft from the Bike ? and it was NOT enhanced as the video was being cut ,,,,,

,,,, and if my old-fat ears are OK ,, I think there is at least SOME bass response being produced from the audio system ? ,,,,

Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
ethal68
Tourer

Hey JMJOHN,
Are you gonna be in Sturgis this year? If you are, where are you setup?
Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have been following this thread from the beginning. I have the J&M 7.25" speakers in my FLHX. I am very happy with them. I do not criticize anyone who doesn't like them and really don't understand why anyone who doesn't like them would criticize me or the manufacturer because we do like them.

We all have different opinions about what we like and don't like. That doesn't mean that I am right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

I don't have much of a passion for sound quality. I just want to be able to hear it. That may be a reason why I like my J&M speakers so much and others may not. Who knows?

I see this as no different than the fact I have a passion for handguns. I hate Smith and Wesson handguns with a passion. S&W have hundreds of thousands of very satisfied customers. That doesn't mean that S&W ripped me off when they took my money for the guns I bought from them, it just means I'll spend my money on Colt, Ruger, Kimber or whoever else's product fits my need more. I have never felt like people who love their Smiths mislead me and caused me to spend my money on something I didn't like.

Don't get me wrong. There is NOTHING wrong with coming on this forum to let others know what you don't like about a product you bought. That's what this forum is all about. Sharing what you like and don't like about products is great, but to come on here and complain that you were somehow ripped off because you paid money for something you found out you didn't like isn't right.

I don't care if nobody else likes what I like and I don't blame someone else if I buy something and end up with buyer's regret.

Dennis

Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM
McGillea
Advanced

Originally Posted by J at the end of the video ,,,, the sound you hear is actually from the internal mike on the my little SONY video camera, maybe 30ft-50ft from the Bike ? and it was NOT enhanced as the video was being cut ,,,,,

,,,, [SIZE=3
and if my old-fat ears are OK ,, I think there is at least SOME bass response being produced from the audio system ?[/SIZE] ,,,,
To these old fart, attached to a guitar player (+50yrs gigging) ears, I was waiting for the bass player to join in. Good mids and highs tho.........

Quick Reply: So I put these J&M 7.25's in.