Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I put these J&M 7.25's in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
madcatter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they are the best then my buddy will be getting the best speakers for his ultra for free.
giving him them cause i am going with the hawg wired stuff.
i been doing some checking with crutchfeilds service techs and thats the way i am going.
maybe in china or taiwan they sound better where they are made but my j.m's here in pa sound like a tweeter with zero low end.
i installed some dynamat,foam,even a wall and still dissappointed.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 AM
ethal68
Tourer

[QUOTE=JMJOHN;7974823]ethal68 ,,,,,

with all due respect, ((everyone is entitled to their own opinion)), the J&M 7.25" fairing speakers are exactly what we say they are ,,,,

Well JMJOHN, Have you read all of the posts? Looks like you should be talking to all the people on this thread. I think they are exactly what WE say they are.

Remember.........((everyone is entitled to their own opinion))

The only thing I have ever said is, "I have heard them, and I dont like the way they sound."
I could care less about magnet size, or is one speaker more efficient than the other, or weight strain, or that I "think" heard the best J&M properly installed.

If you can prove me wrong, I will post nothing but positive comments on J&M speakers....and I will eat crow.
But until then, remember, ((everyone is entitled to their own opinion))

Send me a set of 7.25's, if they sound better than my current speakers, I will buy them, hands down.

Need my shipping address???

Last edited by ethal68; 02-27-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
thecort
Road Captain

[Q[QUOTE=ethal68;7976229]
Originally Posted by JMJOHN
ethal68 ,,,,,

with all due respect, ((everyone is entitled to their own opinion)), the J&M 7.25" fairing speakers are exactly what we say they are ,,,,

Well JMJOHN, Have you read all of the posts? Looks like you should be talking to all the people on this thread. I think they are exactly what WE say they are.

Remember.........((everyone is entitled to their own opinion))

The only thing I have ever said is, "I have heard them, and I dont like the way they sound."
I could care less about magnet size, or is one speaker more efficient than the other, or weight strain, or that I "think" heard the best J&M properly installed.

If you can prove me wrong, I will post nothing but positive comments on J&M speakers....and I will eat crow.
But until then, remember, ((everyone is entitled to their own opinion))

Send me a set of 7.25's, if they sound better than my current speakers, I will buy them, hands down.

Need my shipping address???

I heard the speakers w/ the 500 watt amp (Rokker system) & wasn't impressed at all. They did sound decent when the whole system was playing (not much on the lows though) I posted it & was told they were an awesome set of speakers & that it was laughable that I would compare them to my HD Booms, which I think sound at least the same (based on just listening to only the fairings speakers w/ the amp). I asked John at J&M to steer me to a place where I could really get a good demo of this system within a reasonable drive from my house. I never got a response on that so, good luck on trying to get speakers sent to you.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Last time I say this.

I put the J&M's in my bike, no amp. They sounded good but had ZERO low/bass end tone. I'm not talking boom, I'm talking about full range sound. The J&M's do not have it.

I put the Hertz in and it immediately sounded like a full range speaker. There is a absolute difference in low tones between the two. You can run the low Db up and down between the 2 speakers and hear it distinctly.

Putting the amp in just increased the difference.

It's the design of the speaker. It's intended to play loud. It is not built to reproduce lower tones.

The difference in build quality and materials is night and day. No battle there. Of course they are efficient, they have a magnet the size of a 3.5" speaker. Trying to debate a topic that has been law on speakers is pointless.

Last edited by shore; 02-27-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
ethal68
Tourer

Originally Posted by shore
Last time I say this.

I put the J&M's in my bike, no amp. They sounded good but had ZERO low/bass end tone. I'm not talking boom, I'm talking about full range sound. The J&M's do not have it.

I put the Hertz in and it immediately sounded like a full range speaker. There is a absolute difference in low tones between the two. You can run the low Db up and down between the 2 speakers and hear it distinctly.

Putting the amp in just increased the difference.

It's the design of the speaker. It's intended to play loud. It is not built to reproduce lower tones.

The difference in build quality and materials is night and day. No battle there. Of course they are efficient, they have a magnet the size of a 3.5" speaker. Trying to debate a topic that has been law on speakers is pointless.

Well said....

Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Met a guy Friday that had the JM 7.25 speakers and 250w amp in his SG. I have the arc mini 125.2 and infinity ref 6.5s. His was loud, highs were clear but as you described no low end. We both had the stock head unit. We checked and the settings on our bikes were the same. Mine had MUCH more bass and sounded better through the full range (his description not mine, although I agreed). He also felt mine was louder, so did I. We even put my cd in his bike and played the same song so that we could eliminate the recording as the difference. I'm not endorsing the infinitys. I know that there are much better speakers out there. But when you pay over $200 you would expect it to be better than a $59 set of speakers.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM
cooper57M
Tourer

I just hate spending my hard earned cash on products that manufaturers claim is the best thing since sliced bread. I felt like i got jerked immediately after i installed them last summer and it reminds me everytime i ride my bike.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Will any of you be attending Bike Week in Daytona beach this coming weekend & following week ? ,,,

J&M's audio trailer will be set up on the south end of the vendor lot at Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona, just off the interstate in Ormond Beach ,,,,,

Bring your bike to the trailer with whatever speakers you think are the best, we can listen to them side by side with the J&M demo bikes, using the same CDs etc ,,,,,

we have a new RoadGlide ultra on display with NO amplifier installed, J&M 7.25” speakers in the fairing and J&M 5.25” upgrades in the rear pods ,,,,

and of course our 2011 StreetGlide named ROKKER with the 7.25” speakers in the fairing and 7.25” speakers in our new LOWER fairing pods ,,,,, 250w 2-ch / 500w 4-ch amplifier installed,,,,, so that you can compare the 7.25” fairing speakers only, OR all four 7.25” speakers ,,,,,

we can then compare apples to apples ,,,,

this whole business is all about what we each individually like to hear from our bikes ,,,,, so come on by and make your own opinions ,,,,,

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

[quote=Harleypingman;7975285]
ethal68 ,,,,,

the J&M 7.25" fairing speakers are exactly what we say they are ,,,,

they are THE most efficient and best sounding speakers you can install into your Harley fairing, with or without an accessory amplifier ,,,, period ,,,

quote]

JMJOHN,

When you say most "efficient," what does that mean in audio terms? What industry standard is used to measure efficiency?

When you say "best sounding," how do you measure that? What industry standard or sampling do you use.

I'm not looking for a debate; but, you make claims that I am simply trying to understand in objective, measurable terms.

Also, has any magazine published any test data for the 250W amp and/or 7.25" speakes as was done with the Arc 125.2 amp and their 6.5" speakers in this article from Performance Auto & Sound magazine:

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test...e-audio-system

In anticipation of your reply, thank you.

Carl
Carl, curious about writers of stereo reviews. In this case, I notice that the author of the review just happened to have a Harley that the amp and speakers tested would fit?? I am not intending to slander this or any other writer, just wondering if the info can be trusted.

I too will be interested in seeing if any reviews with measurable test results will be posted.

Again so anyone who makes their living writing reviews for magazines, NOT accusing anyone of anything untoward or being an apologist for J&M either just wondering about how trustworthy reviews like referenced are. I have kind of lost confidence in them personally.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 02-27-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: tried to better express my thought
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Will any of you be attending Bike Week in Daytona beach this coming weekend & following week ? ,,,

J&M's audio trailer will be set up on the south end of the vendor lot at Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona, just off the interstate in Ormond Beach ,,,,,

Bring your bike to the trailer with whatever speakers you think are the best, we can listen to them side by side with the J&M demo bikes, using the same CDs etc ,,,,,

we have a new RoadGlide ultra on display with NO amplifier installed, J&M 7.25” speakers in the fairing and J&M 5.25” upgrades in the rear pods ,,,,

and of course our 2011 StreetGlide named ROKKER with the 7.25” speakers in the fairing and 7.25” speakers in our new LOWER fairing pods ,,,,, 250w 2-ch / 500w 4-ch amplifier installed,,,,, so that you can compare the 7.25” fairing speakers only, OR all four 7.25” speakers ,,,,,

we can then compare apples to apples ,,,,

this whole business is all about what we each individually like to hear from our bikes ,,,,, so come on by and make your own opinions ,,,,,

I'll be there with bells on....I live here.

Quick Reply: So I put these J&M 7.25's in.