Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Fairing Mirrors? Your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Street Glide Guy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Fairing Mirrors? Your thoughts...

Well thanks to an incredible thread I found on here, I mustered up the nerve to pull my inner fairing off. It is on the way to the painters this week..
What I had not thought about are the fairing mirrors... To paint them I would think that the joint would be a problem and a pain to paint. I have no clue how even if possible that they come apart... So should I leave them black? or have them taped off and just the outside bezel color matched? or do most people replace them with stem mirrors off the handlebars?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated... (and pics get u a beer if you are ever up this way!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I put mine where they are supposed to be for my eyes and painted the entire back. It locks it in place. They came with just the mirror housing painted...did not like that raw plastic look between the painted inner and mirror.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine were painted when the bike was repainted two years ago. They can't be disassembled (at least I couldn't figure out how to do it), and mine, at least, get bumped from time to time enough to move them slightly--don't know of any way to "lock" them.

If you look at how they move, you'll figure out what shouldn't be painted, e.g. the base that attaches at the fairing (unless you want to mask the area of contact with the mirror housing--I didn't).

I don't have a picture of the rear of the mirrors, but you'll get an idea of what they look like painted from this one:

http://

The mirror surface was masked and a razor blade used to remove the excess tape from the plastic housing where it meets the mirror. Turned out fine and since that's what I see riding the bike, it's nice to see the color matched edge. I don't spend much time looking at my bike, but the color matched edge and most of the back of the mirror is sufficient for my purposes.

HD sells a primered cover that fits over the mirror for painting which, in the pictures I've seen of the cover, pretty much matches how my mirrors are painted--the bulge/hump on the back and base are unpainted.

Good luck with your project; be sure to post pictures--we love pictures.

Carl

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Street Glide Guy
Novice

thats great info.. I will post pics for sure.. brand new to the forum... My SG is 2009 Dark Blue Pearl and was totally stock when I purchased it... That is all about to change... Pics will follow in the next few weeks...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think painted looks better then the raw plastic

Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I had mine painted just the outside of the bezel to color match the rest of the fairing. Can move my mirrors & I think looks better than the factory ones that do not paint the mirrors. JMO

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Glide Guy
thats great info.. I will post pics for sure.. brand new to the forum... My SG is 2009 Dark Blue Pearl and was totally stock when I purchased it... That is all about to change... Pics will follow in the next few weeks...
Here's a link to the HD mirror covers for painting; those show how mine were painted w/o the covers:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Glad to help.

Carl

Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the HD primed covers painted and installed. I'll try to get some pics in the next few days.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Those covers are as much as the mirrors.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
Those covers are as much as the mirrors.
Somehow that doesn't suprise me...

Quick Reply: Paint Fairing Mirrors? Your thoughts...