Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Fighters Discount ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeInMa
Well said, thank you.

From someone who has been in law enforcement for the past 20 years, I am appalled that anyone thinks that they are entitled to something others may not be due to their job. And the statement made by the OP about those who are negative to place a sign in front of their houses so his "brothers" can thank us, readily implies that they should stand by and watch our houses burn should they catch fire. WTF?! Talk about an entitlement attitude. Not exactly the comment to be made when you're trying to win the hearts of the "negative".

I will retract what I said as I took the offensive and replied without thinking, Sorry to All. A FF whould never standbye and watch anyone in trouble and not help. If I have offended
any I am truey Sorry. Doc

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tremendous respect for FFs and LEOs. Thank you for your service.

But from a dealer's perspective, discounts can be a pretty tricky thing. No matter what you do, someone will feel they didn't get their fair share. If you give discounts to FFs, LEOs, then what about servicemen? Ok, so you extend to all the above, but then what about EMS workers? Why stop there, teachers and sanitation workers perform also perform a very difficult job with low pay.

Then point I'm trying to make is that discounting can be a slippery slope. Once you start, it's hard to stop, and someone will get offended anyway.

Part of this is the way big ticket items are marketed. We're taught to expect some sort of discount off of list price, no matter what.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

Working thirty years in LE, I wouldn't have the ***** to ask for a LE discount. While one was common from some of the firearm's manufacturers, that was a program in place and documented. In the end, it was a money maker for them.

But asking for a discount based on a profession isn't something I agree with and refuse to do. Some professions offer it to those in their own areas such as the travel industry and airlines. But it's a pr thing and in the end helps their businesses.

I shopped and got what I thought was a good deal from a local dealer. He had no idea what profession I was in until the deal was over and only then because he saw a jacket I was wearing. In fact the bike I brought was once ordered through the military discount program and later canceled.

As far as free dinners??? Where because we paid for every one. Free coffee? Dunkin charged full price and I never liked their coffee. I'd rather have coffee with a friend who owned a gas station who actually served better coffee than the big guys. At 3am he was happy for the company.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
AF Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discounts to FF and PO

Let's not forget those who served and died to preserve your right to choose a career. Thank a Vet - give him/her a discount.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDOC
I will retract what I said as I took the offensive and replied without thinking, Sorry to All. A FF whould never standbye and watch anyone in trouble and not help. If I have offended
any I am truey Sorry. Doc
Thanks Doc. I knew that being the professional that you are that you could not wish what you stated on anyone. I believed that once you read some of the replies that some of it would make sense. I don't believe anyone here was disrespecting anyone because of their chosen professions, ie: LE or FF, just the fact that it appeared you were looking for a discount based on your profession, a discount that others might not be offered due to their professions.

Best of luck in your negotiations.