Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW grip problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBW grip problem--problem solved

While riding yesterday, I suddenly lost throttle control. At first I thought the bike had gone to the limp mode, but it didn't. I could use the throttle for acceleration, but when closing the throttle all the tension was gone. I rode home and noticed that I could turn the grip completely around in the closing direction with no resistance. I removed the grip and could not find any problem. The sensor at the end of the handle bar seems fine. I can't see into the grip very well to see if there is a problem with the splines. They are ISO grips. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Last edited by navyman; 02-14-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Havn't had this problem but subscribing to see who has ...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a bad TBW. It is the TBW inside the bars that stops the forward and back motion and supplies the tension and spring return, without it the grip would just spin around and around. Don't know what else it could be.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not 100% clear. Do you mean the return "spring" is gone so you have to roll forward with your hand? If yes.....then mine has been like that for over a year. Some have suggested loosening the torx on the housing and moving it out just a fraction, apparently some have experienced binding.

I have gotten so used to it that way I have not bothered yet. Sorry for the long reply if your issue is different.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM
navyman
Road Master

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Not 100% clear. Do you mean the return "spring" is gone so you have to roll forward with your hand? If yes.....then mine has been like that for over a year. Some have suggested loosening the torx on the housing and moving it out just a fraction, apparently some have experienced binding.

I have gotten so used to it that way I have not bothered yet. Sorry for the long reply if your issue is different.
Without the grip on, the sensor acts normally with tension and auto return. With the grip on it acts as if the splines are stripped or something. I am going to get another grip to see if that is the problem. (I hope that is it.)

Old 02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So with the grip off the TBW returns to the home position and doesnt go any farther then the spline is shot inside the grip or the grip wasnt/isnt on far enough. Probably a bad grip my guess.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,855 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Default Similar Problem

I had something like this happen. When I would shut the thottle I could turn the grip past the stop. It was HD after market grips. Seem they are a two piece unit. The splines inside were fine, the outside was just spinning on the inside sheath. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and glued it together. Still working fine.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
navyman
Road Master

Problem solved. It appears the spline deteriorated inside the grip. I purchased and installed new HD grips and problem solved. The ISO grips were on there for about two years with no issues prior to this. Thankfully it was a simple solution. Thanks for everyones input.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Glad got it worked out any more problems let us know ...