Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Rental Bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My first bagger burnout was on a rental. I learned that clutchless shifting on a HD isn't so good on a rental. I burned off some floor boards on a rental on The Dragon in NC. I ride rentals just as hard as I ride my own bike. Harleys can take some serious abuse without issues.

Now, the prices you listed aren't spectacular. Look elsewhere. I'd rather have a pampered bike for $1000-$2000 more than some high mileage beater being sold by a rental company.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

You are better off with a low mileage bike on e-bay or craigs. Prices are pretty low right now. I've never rented a bike, but when I rent a car I get my money's worth. I imagine if I rented a Harley I would do things I would never do to my own. Just my thought.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs down Buying a rental

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
I know I would avoid a rental. The vehicle that owns the record for fastest in reverse: a rental vehicle. I have never rented a bike, but I do know I tend not to baby a rental car like I do my own vehicle, just sayin'.
I have always said when renting " It's a rental, don't be gentle"

Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wasn't happy buying from the second owner of my bike because a lot of history of the bike just wasn't (isn't) known. I can tell you a lot of noobies rent and they are hard on a bike. The last two rentals I had I dropped more than once. Times that by 35,000 miles.

Just say NO.

In '02 I rented a Heritage from the Tampa dealer for a day's cruise down the Gulf Blvd from Clearwater to St. Pete for my very first ever Harley Ride. What a beautiful Ride.

Everything about that day changed my life! Not to mention the awful sunburn the wife and I had, even on the top of my head. (We packed away the helmets after leaving the rental place)

Attached Thumbnails Buying a Rental Bike ?-mvc-410f.jpg   Buying a Rental Bike ?-mvc-409f.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 02-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've considered buying a used Harley before, but didn't. I would never consider buying a rental, no matter how good the deal upfront. Too many different riders, too many different riding styles, and most would go out a flog the bike a bit, since it isn't theirs.

Remember the rental-car scene in Days of Thunder? I'd look to buying a used, one-owner bike... lot's of garage-queens out there that can be had for a fair price in this economy.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll buck the system here and say my bike was a rental. I have only put 1200 miles on it the last 8 weeks but all things are pointing out to it's a good bike. I obtained the service records for the bike and it was serviced every 2500 miles. There were 2 scratches in the chrome and no leaks. Mine had 22000 on it which is much lower than the bikes your looking at. I looked at 5 private party used bikes and they weren't taken care off and had less milage. I still have factory warranty but I will buy ext wty just in case.

Last edited by prostar; 02-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't own a rental for any reason. Why make a potential problem your problem?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The price should be lower or a better warranty. Personally I've seen better deals, if it were me I'd shop around a little more, miles seem to be a little high.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lived in Hawaii in the military and would get rental cars on occasion on other islands....drove the wheels of them...on restricted off roads whatever....service may be predictable on a rental but the issue of whos driven them obviously isnt. Look around many good bikes out there.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Lot of miles for a rental and the prices aren't that great and the miles may be hard ones as well, just no way of knowing. In my opinion, you would be better off to buy a privately owned bike thats been taken care of just for the peace of mind. They're out there and not that much more than the rentals you're looking at. Buying a rental with that many miles is a crapshoot or box of chocolates at best, "you never know what you're going to get". People on rentals do things that they would never do if they owned the bike. FWIW I would steer clear myself. If you are still considering the rental, at least try for a better price and warranty. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Buying a Rental Bike ?