Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Rental Bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I would first inspect the brakes especially the rear, then ask for the compression value of each cylinder, look at the soot inside the header going to both mufflers and finally rev up the engine in 6th gear at standstill and try to stall the engine by releasing the clutch. The rear brake wears 'evenly' in normal driving, the pressure inside the cylinders will give you an evaluation of the piston rings if you measure the engine cold, the soot is normally gray 'ish' and the clutch is calculated to hold more than the torque of the engine, so when it slips in the highest gear == its gone

Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy one for that kind of money.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you first had expierence that rental bikes get Rode HARD, I can also tell you people rent them to see if they like them better then there ricer, a buddy of mine rented one when he sold his gsxr, and was pegging the rev limiter and causing engine knock shifting at low RPMs. These bikes may be well maintained but there are beat to poop for the most part. That price seems kinda steep. for a bike with that many miles.

You can also look at New / mildly used Cop Glides same price, 1/4th the miles. and if you land a 09 U will have ABS and 103" motor. Only Downside is no radio or tourpak. Also all departments around here and most places I have heard have them regularly serviced at the HD dealership religiously.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Personally, there is no way in hell I would ever even think about buying a rental bike. If they were willing to give me one for free, I'd take it and immediately turn around and trade it in on a new one.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I usually buy my cars from rental fleets, with great success. They are well maintained, and usually come with a good warranty. These bikes can take a lot, and are ment to be ridden. Even if ridden hard, how much damage can be done between rentals? I would try to get a better price then they are selling for.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 AM
soulpony
Road Captain

Our HD dealer here sell's their rentals at around 13k miles, bikes appear to be very clean, price reflects it though.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

You can get a 2010 flhx from Chicago Harley for 16 from their rental fleet with around 8k miles.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 AM
CC Rainman
Tourer

It all depends on the bike. I bought my 09 SG last year in December of 09. It was a rental with 6k miles. I now have 10k miles and not a single problem. I got the bike at 4K under book with lots of extras like passenger backrest, pipes, stage 1 upgrade. You just need to go through the bike and check everything out. If the price is right I would consider it. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an 07 flhp police bike with 38,000 miles for $7,900. Had about $300 in repair items not disclosed by the seller. That's parts prices with me doing the troubleshooting and repair. Would I do it again. Hell yes, the savings were great and the bike runs excellant now.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought a 2008 roadglide from the local dealer which was a rental 4 months later the tranny bearings went out. it did have low milage and the price was right befor the tranny went out the stater went also. for me i wouldnt buy another rental again they do get beat up some have no issues and some do. mine did and i wont buy another again.

Quick Reply: Buying a Rental Bike ?