Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Builders/Techs please chime in. bike wont start on the third time from the shop.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Builders/Techs please chime in. bike wont start on the third time from the shop.

In oct. my bike cut off after riding about 50 miles down i95 doing about 90. I ended up sending it to my dads mechanic. When he recieved the bike it was hard starting but it actually started. My dads mechanic took the power commander off and the bike ran with no problems. He replaced the pc with a revtech dfo box. I get the bike back and ride approximately 50 miles again and the mike shuts off after leaving from a light whaling on the throttle. just shuts down again like it ran out of gas. I get the bike back to the guy and he starts it and let's me hear it over the phone. He then cut back every police wire that was on the bike so that I would have no extra wires hanging around. I get the bike back and while returning from a 40 mile ride I pull the bike into the garage and I hear a funny noise which I later identified as the pick up tube in the gas tank. Got that replaced. Im in the garage on sat fooling with the exaust and once I put it back together I ride to the end of my street, about 1/2 a mile, and it cus off on me again and I have to push it home. I have to admit I did jump on it a little going down the street.I have a crank position sensor that I will replace tomorrow when I get home from work. I looked at the wire sheath the goes around the crank sesore and I didn't see too many problems the the crank sensor could be the problem. Isint there a way to test this crank sensor? Is there something I could do with the spark plugs? What methodical steps can I use to ensure that I have all of my bases covered befor throwing more money at it or selling it down the river?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your battery connections and ground wires?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you checked for DTC's? That should've been one of the first diagnostic steps.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Bobino
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Have you checked for DTC's? That should've been one of the first diagnostic steps.
DTC, what does it mean? Thanx in advance.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check the quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank. There is a little ball in there that needs exercising a little every now and then.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobino
DTC, what does it mean? Thanx in advance.
Diagnostic Trouble Code.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Certain year bikes were known to have injector wires that were too short from the factory. They eventually end up breaking causing all kinds of head scratching. My '07 had a similar problem. It would miss badly when grabbing a handful of throttle in lower gears. Problem ended up being a partially broken injector wire. When I got on it hard in the lower gears it would rock the engine back enough to cause the wire to loose connection. If I got on it hard in 5th or 6th it didn't have enough torque to rock the engine enough.

Long story short: Check for any DTC (mine had an injector voltage code stored) and check for broken wires. Mine was broken where the factory zip tied the loom together.

Zach

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Default Update

There are no DTCs currently or in the history. I had my local HD check the first time and im still not flashing anything.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

I will try all of the other stuff. Could anyone else chime in?

Quick Reply: Builders/Techs please chime in. bike wont start on the third time from the shop.