Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride with XIED's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
badknees
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride with XIED's

Warmed up a bit today so I took the bike for a little ride. I had the XIED's on for a month but haven't ridden with them. Well I gotta say what a difference. Quicker throttle response and much improved thru all gears. Worth the money.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I wonder if anyone has done any before and after dyno testing with those things to verify that they actually do what they claim to do?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive been running them on three bagger's now with great results. Check out Steve Mullen at nightrider.com The've done a lot of testing with them.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Ive been running them on three bagger's now with great results. Check out Steve Mullen at nightrider.com The've done a lot of testing with them.
I know he has, but he sells em. Any independent testing?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

worth the money...

Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been debating these for over a year now for my 2010 StreetGlide. As I dont plan to replace my stock exhaust or a/c or do any performance work to the motor I keep thinking these would be the trick to cool down the engine, improve throttle response, and hopefully stop the pinging. But then again, I could spend that $200 towards a tuner and be sitting pretty IF I change my mind on the exhaust and a/c. Has anyone seen the improvements I listed?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
cltgt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of stuck in the same place. I want to change exhaust and a/c. Thought about using the XIED's to compensate vs using a tuner.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,767 Likes on 11,542 Posts

I've had the Xied's on my '08 for best part of 3 years.....37k miles
Lot better throttle response and reduced heat on thighs.
I have the SE/HD breather and Rush slip-ons w/ 2" baffles.....
Not planning on any motor upgrades....if I change my mind I'll buy accordingly.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

i'll try to make long story short, I bought my 09 FLHTC with 7000 miles- completely stock.

It had persistant pinging at 2800 ~3200 rpm when going up 6% grades.

aside that from that it ran quite well and I left it alone for 1000 miles while I got a feel for the new bike.

I then put on my favorite slip on mufflers ( supertrapps) which are high flow.
No real change for the next 1000 miles, just a little better sound.

I then put on the XIEDS ( and the cost with shipping is closer to $125---Steve Mullen offers military discount if you qualify).

I noticed slight performance gains, BUT the PINGING WAS GONE! at all rpms and loads. I rode this way on a 1700 mile trip, all elevations, loaded up with gear.
For some reason the pipes also seemed to sound better- deeper...hmmm

It was then I had confidence to put on a high flow air cleaner. Power was noticably increased, the pinging still held at bay. ( chrome ness big sucker- $115 shipped from easternpc on ebay)

as for motor temps all this took place in the autumn, so hard to judge.

what do they do? ( I work with electronics and have basic ASE automotive training)

A simple explanation is that the XIEDS are a resistor network which reduces the O2 sensor output to the ECM. ( and being simple explanation, forgive me if my numbers are not exact, but a representation)

When the motor is running at optimal 14.7:1 mixture, the O2 sensor will generate about .5 volts DC.
The O2 sensor generates MORE voltage if the mixture is richer, LESS voltage if the mixture is lean.
( the sensor does not operate properly until fully warmed up, so the ECM will run "open loop" from preset memory until sensors tell it to switch to "closed loop" where the ECM responds to feedback from the sensors ( air density, temperature, O2 in the exhaust, gear etc.)

in closed loop mode the Xieds will drop the voltage by a couple of decimal places, which makes the ECM think the motor is running lean, so the injectors are told to add more fuel ( which means they spray for a longer time than otherwise).
The end result is that the motor may run with a mixture closer to 14.2:1 or 13.8:1, which is less likely to ping, and will run cooler.
But not so rich as to foul the air, plugs or reduce performance.

so we see that the XIEDS "fool" the ECM to increase the fuel- where that can really be an advantage is with the pinging.
when a motor pings, the ecm can sense this and may solve it by adding more fuel---or more likely retarding engine timing. retarding the timing is bad for performance and fuel economy.

fuel economy---measured on my bike I was running right about 45 MPG for my typical riding style when it was stock. I now get pretty repeatable 44 MPG with the XIEDS.

Measured over a multi-thousand mile trip with my pal on his stock ultra limited 103, we got exactly the same fuel economy.

XIEDS are the best bang for the buck.

- and I can remove it seconds if i have to go to the dealer for warranty service.

- and I don't need to learn a whole new computer language to make it work, like some of the more expensive systems, or hire a tech who's "voodoo" may or may not be great.

the XIEDS allow the stock unmodified ECM to do all the heavy lifting.

and my butt dyno tells me they work

My H-D experience is with a couple of Panheads and Evos, the past 15 years I have used O2 sensors and a voltmeter to tune all of them, to very good result.

uncompensated endorsement, Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-13-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like mine. They have been on my bike for about 25,000 miles now. I did notice a little better throttle response when I put them on and a little lower rumble.

I pulled my cracked Y-pipe off yesterday to put on a set of Fullsac true duals and the 02 sensor was a nice golden brown. Just what you wold want your spark plugs to look like. I have no idea if that's what it should look like.

Quick Reply: First ride with XIED's