Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart 4" on stock head pipe - how loud?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rinehart 4" on stock head pipe - how loud?

Is there anyone running Rinehart 4" slip-on with 2.25" baffles on stock head pipes that can tell me how loud they are? I'm looking for louder than stock but not 'rattle the brain' loud.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
kyloon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Rinehart 4" muffler on at Sturgis last year and its louder but by no means loud. I am in the process of cutting out the cat and installing the LA Choppers XXX air cleaner and the PCV.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
supermoto292
Cruiser

I am thinking off selling my 3.50 for the 4" they look sexy. My pipes are just right on sound.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderbob
Is there anyone running Rinehart 4" slip-on with 2.25" baffles on stock head pipes that can tell me how loud they are? I'm looking for louder than stock but not 'rattle the brain' loud.
I just put the 3.5" on w/ stock header w/cat & went with the older 3.5" because they were suppose to be slightly louder then the 4" but I'm real disappointed.
IMO they're way quieter than what the TD's were I had on another bike.
With the problems I'm reading about other guys changing to the high performance baffles I think I may have to change to cat less headers which I really didn't want to do. Just sounds to "tame" to me the way it is!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer

Originally Posted by kyloon
I put the Rinehart 4" muffler on at Sturgis last year and its louder but by no means loud. I am in the process of cutting out the cat and installing the LA Choppers XXX air cleaner and the PCV.
So do you like the sound? Or are you thinking it'll be better when you get the cat out?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
supermoto292
Cruiser

I think my 3.50 sound good i just don't want them to get to loud with new header

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the stock header (with a cat)... The 4" Riney's will sound pretty tame. With a nice open header from Jackpot, V&H, Etc... the 4" Riney's have a very nice deep, low rumble. Over time they will get a little louder, but still maintain a nice deep rumble. On a scale of 1-10 for loudness... 1 being oem exhaust with cat in the header; 10 being a 2/1 Thunder Header or V&H Big Radius... The 4" Riney's come in at 3-4 with oem cat header... 5-6 with aftermarket open header. Might even jump to a 7 after a few hundered miles of break-in. However... they get a 10 for "Harley sound/tone"! I dont find the 4" Rineharts on open headers too loud for a touring bike, or 2-up riding. Of course it's all relative huh.

The 3.5" Riney's almost always sound "raspy" to me. Toatally different sound from the deep/low rumble of the 4"ers

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 02-13-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
With the stock header (with a cat)... The 4" Riney's will sound pretty tame. With a nice open header from Jackpot, V&H, Etc... the 4" Riney's have a very nice deep, low rumble. Over time they will get a little louder, but still maintain a nice deep rumble. On a scale of 1-10 for loudness... 1 being oem exhaust with cat in the header; 10 being a 2/1 Thunder Header or V&H Big Radius... The 4" Riney's come in at 3-4 with oem cat header... 5-6 with aftermarket open header. Might even jump to a 7 after a few hundered miles of break-in. However... they get a 10 for "Harley sound/tone"! I dont find the 4" Rineharts on open headers too loud for a touring bike, or 2-up riding. Of course it's all relative huh.

The 3.5" Riney's almost always sound "raspy" to me. Toatally different sound from the deep/low rumble of the 4"ers
Good explanation, comparison, & info.
But of coarse, " sound is all in the ear of the rider"....

Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer

Originally Posted by azbob09
Good explanation, comparison, & info.
But of coarse, " sound is all in the ear of the rider"....
Very true! Sound quality is important to me, loudness is great but hearing tunes is also important on them long hauls.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER

This assessment is dead on. I will add that in the winter with a full face on it is a lot lounder. Doesn't seem bad without a helmet or with a 1/2 helmet.

Quick Reply: Rinehart 4" on stock head pipe - how loud?