Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King 16" apes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
neogermania
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne314
I have 16" Carlini's Ganster apes and I had to notch out my windshield because I just liked the look and feel of the bars forward. I dont use the windshield except for long trips. Its not perfect but works. I rode it to sturgis with the windshield on and it had contact with the clutch cable and rubbed (cut) a spot on the cable. Not too bad, kinda looks like a bug hit the cable but still enough to **** me off. I modified the windshield again last month but havent tryed it again. I can post pics if you like. Good luck.
Would like to see picks, will have the bike finished by end week (hopefully). Same deal, I have the apes set forward due to being 6'3". I have to windshields that I would more than likely have to notch to fit.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default windshield/stereo issue

i have 16's and a stock windshield on my 01 RKC. bars are in line with the forks and work fine with windshield. i bought this windshield mounted stereo, as i only want tunes when on long trips, same as with the windshield (long trips), so a perfect match without buying a batwing. when i install the stereo, it hits the cables for clutch and throttle and brake line. i know this will cause wear marks on all surfaces. so my question to you guys is what are the options to make this work? things i have thought of but not sure if it'd work are: 1) move handle bars back an inch towards me. not sure if i'd like that and it'd be difficult to move everytime i convert from one mode to the next as i'd have to get to bolts to loosen/tighten bars to adjust 2) move(pivot windshield 1 inch forward but stock bracket doesnt have that feature, what, if any bracket, does?
thanks for your ideas and I hope this one makes ya think as much as I did!
JJ

Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A bit late but...

Originally Posted by pittz5
The problem with pulling them back is they are too close to me. At 6'5" I need bars with less pullback then I guess? Any ideas of apes with less pullback? When they are pulled back i can feel the ache in my lower back. It seems all 16s have a lot of pullback. Any ideas??
I've learned that it's a combination of seat and bars, and bars are only half the story. In my case I wanted the big Mustang Super touring or Royal touring seats; my wife rides on the back most of the time, but I couldn't and had to go with the standard touring because it pushes me back 1.75 inches where the Royal pushes me back 4 inches.

So I would surmise from this that if you put the bars in line with the fork and bought a seat that set you back 4 inches from standard you would be OK.

I'm having my 16's W1's put on tomorrow and can't wait.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
motordog
Road Captain

Get a Klock Werks Flare windshield. The flare curve gives you about one more inch of room. It also does much better with wind deflection than stock.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Invictys
Cruiser

I have 16" Carlini Apes on my 2011 RoadKing and I can put the windshield on if I want to....but I hate the look so I never do

Apes on Baggers kick *** dude, plus its so much more comfortable I feel like now I have the same body position as all you short guys do stock =)

Here's some pics of my work in progress

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,515 Likes on 5,069 Posts

Wild1 509's with and without windshield.......the second pic I pushed the bars up a tad.....I love these bars

Attached Thumbnails Road King 16" apes-019.jpg   Road King 16" apes-024.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Diesel_Cowboy
Advanced

Well had these for about 3 months now and love them! so much more comfortable then the stock bars. Cops don't like them as much!

Attached Thumbnails Road King 16" apes-new-apes.jpg   Road King 16" apes-new-apes2.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to see pics of your evils installed.. Was thinking about those before I pulled the trigger on my gansters.

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I just got my 17 inch Carlini Evil Ape's on last night and can still use my windshield, like stated above you need to adjust the bars with the clamp a little loose. I will only be using my windshield for very long rides though I like the clean look the bike has now with just the one headlight, the Ape's, and no crash bar or highway pegs.

Post some pics and welcome to the site.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

16"er's on my '09 RK and only one, easily fixable, problem. When the bars were too far forward, the clutch cable cover got slightly severed between the bars and the shield. Keep an eye out for that.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Have you seen the Dude on YouTube with the tallest Apes ever?
I can't tell if He rides or swings LOL.

Quick Reply: Road King 16" apes