Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King 16" apes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The problem with pulling them back is they are too close to me. At 6'5" I need bars with less pullback then I guess? Any ideas of apes with less pullback? When they are pulled back i can feel the ache in my lower back. It seems all 16s have a lot of pullback. Any ideas??

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pittz5
The problem with pulling them back is they are too close to me. At 6'5" I need bars with less pullback then I guess? Any ideas of apes with less pullback? When they are pulled back i can feel the ache in my lower back. It seems all 16s have a lot of pullback. Any ideas??
My 17 inch Carlini's only have 7 inches of pullback.

If not check out BR Custom Bars and he can make you a set of bars to your exact specs. Won't be cheap though but good quality. We just put a set of his bars on my buddies road glide.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Airborne314
Cruiser

I have 16" Carlini's Ganster apes and I had to notch out my windshield because I just liked the look and feel of the bars forward. I dont use the windshield except for long trips. Its not perfect but works. I rode it to sturgis with the windshield on and it had contact with the clutch cable and rubbed (cut) a spot on the cable. Not too bad, kinda looks like a bug hit the cable but still enough to **** me off. I modified the windshield again last month but havent tryed it again. I can post pics if you like. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
My 17 inch Carlini's only have 7 inches of pullback.

If not check out BR Custom Bars and he can make you a set of bars to your exact specs. Won't be cheap though but good quality. We just put a set of his bars on my buddies road glide.
7" pullback would be perfect I think. Im gona have to check them out!! They look sick as hell on your bike man!! Vey nice. Thanks for the info

Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pittz5
7" pullback would be perfect I think. Im gona have to check them out!! They look sick as hell on your bike man!! Vey nice. Thanks for the info
No sweat brother and thanks for the compliment, the wiring was a pain in the *** but glad it's done now, no RK's around me with these bars so my bike is different. I think the WO's with 12" of pullback would not have worked for me. I'm not as tall as you but have a big wingspan (long arms). Had to switch my sundowner back to stock to sit me further back. Might look into a tallboy seat or one of the solo seats.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Kenzo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne314
I have 16" Carlini's Ganster apes and I had to notch out my windshield because I just liked the look and feel of the bars forward. I dont use the windshield except for long trips. Its not perfect but works. I rode it to sturgis with the windshield on and it had contact with the clutch cable and rubbed (cut) a spot on the cable. Not too bad, kinda looks like a bug hit the cable but still enough to **** me off. I modified the windshield again last month but havent tryed it again. I can post pics if you like. Good luck.
Airborne, I'm thinking about putting those bars on my RKC. I'd like to see some pix if you could post them. Also, are the 16's comfortable or do you think you would have liked to go bigger with them? I have 16" chubbys now and would have liked another inch or 2 higher.
Thanks.
Kenzo

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I just got my 17 inch Carlini Evil Ape's on last night and can still use my windshield, like stated above you need to adjust the bars with the clamp a little loose. I will only be using my windshield for very long rides though I like the clean look the bike has now with just the one headlight, the Ape's, and no crash bar or highway pegs.

Post some pics and welcome to the site.
Put enough miles on without a crashbar, get hit (even at low speeds) from the side and you may trade for a trike...but won't it look great?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Firetender
Put enough miles on without a crashbar, get hit (even at low speeds) from the side and you may trade for a trike...but won't it look great?
There's always one clown in the audience.......

What is it to you what is left on or taken off MY bike?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

There's your angle you need right there, Clutch cable is right on the shield but I can stull use the shield.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 PM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before mine were tightened down, the tech had me sit on it to get them set where it was comfortable for me. I reminded him that we needed to have the windshield on as well, b/c i knew I'd have this exact problem. As it stands, the shield and cables rub on the bars, but it's perfect for me at my height (5'9"). Then again, you can just ride without a windshield too. Unless you plan on traveling on the highway over 65 or 70mph. Then it's not worth it.

Quick Reply: Road King 16" apes