Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock fluid in Ultra Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear shock fluid in Ultra Classic?

While removing the retarded lowering kit from my UC this morning, I wound up disconnecting the hose to one of my rear shocks. Removed lowering kit and got everything back together and took my test ride. Upon returning to the shop, I found that my hose had popped back loose and squirted nasty green fluid up on the seat, side cover, primary and my pipe. Great!

Cleaned up my bike from ooze, now I'm worried about refilling this fluid into my shocks. I'm guessing about 4 good squirts of fluid came out, from the looks of things. Is that a lot? Any suggestions as to replacing it?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's not a problem. You probably didn't get the tubing all the way in the pushlok fitting. Pull your tube out. Take the 1/8" pipe to tubing fitting out and use a syringe like a turkey baster. You can buy one at Walmart for about 3.00 bucks. Put whatever you think you lost back in, connect your hose and your done. I recently replaced the Fluid in my rear shocks on my 2010 RK. I put 10 wt shock oil in them. Took 11 0Z for each shock. Easy to do!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Whew! That's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I am NOT mechanically inclined, let me be the first to ask the totally stupid question:

Shouldn't the amount of fluid in each of the rear shocks be as close to the same as possible so that each shock is compressing the same amount when you're adding air pressure later to adjust the ride?

If so, how would the OP know if he's just guessing what might have been lost from the one shock?

Again, not a mechanic so this may be much to do about nothing... <--- me!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

If he's not certain within reason how much came out, He needs to take the shock off and drain the oil and fill it with new oil. If he does that, he will need to do both shocks, unless he can get the same weight oil as in the other. The way he asked the question, I assumed he probably lost no more than an ounce. I had my shocks off my 08 UC one day and accidently laid one over without thinking. I judged by what I saw run out to be about an ounce. I added an ounce and everything was good, couldn't tell the difference.
If I were him I would drain both shocks and put in 10 wt shock oil. Makes a big difference in the ride.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks, Ronp42. Really clarifies things for me.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Wink

Originally Posted by TxCowboy

After Ronp42 explained what to do, I understood that it's not that difficult. I plan on doing exactly what he suggested.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you just turn the shocks upside down and let the oil drain out? Will all the oil come out this way?

Cecil

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

You can, but it takes longer. I made a jig out of left over 2X4's to compress the shock and pump the oil out faster. I drained it into a container to measure the exact amount. It's not hard to do. If you are interested, I will post a picture and detail the process. I replaced my shock oil with Amsoil 10wt Shock Therapy oil.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by TxCowboy
Are you trying to learn or just being a smartass????? If it's the latter, I'm sure you can find something else to do.

Quick Reply: Rear shock fluid in Ultra Classic?