Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent deal on a Zumo 550

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Decent deal on a Zumo 550

Hey guys, I've been looking for a good deal on a Zumo 550, not the Harley brand. I came across this deal and thought I would share it for two reasons 1) just to pass on a good deal to you guys 2) to see if anyone has found a better deal on one. This one comes out to about $545 shipped, with a warranty.

I recently went on a ride about two hours from home and realized the importance of having this before my upcoming trip to Maggie Valley. It started to get cold on us and we wanted to find a Harley dealership to get some better head gear. I was able to locate one on the iphone, but it involved finding signal and dealing with the pain of looking it up on the tiny internet screen. It wasn't possible to stop on major roadways to pull it out of my pocket and check every few miles, so I just guessed my way to it. Fortunately, I guessed right or we could have been in for a very cold ride home.

***UPDATE***

I just read some reviews on ecost.com and they are all horrible. I am not going to order from them, and I just wanted to make all of you aware of my new findings as I would hate to be responsible for someone here getting ripped off. I apologize to all about not researching this better before posting. Lesson learned for next time.

Last edited by jpalm; 02-12-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the non-Harley version it doesn't have the list of dealerships already pre-loaded, however, if u search HDFormus you will find links to download the dealership file. Get the POI Loader from the Garmin web site and load up the dealership file, otherwise you will be back to using the iPod for finding your dealers.

I love my Zumo 550. I too have the non-Harley version. Great unit and it sounds like your getting a decent deal.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
DMorr99
Road Master

I didn't pay much more than that three years ago. I have to wonder what the shelf life is on the Zumo 550. It's great but the platform is showing it's age.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

its easy to load the poi for dears and it makes it organized with autherized shops as well but 9 out of 10 all you have to do is type har... search and your there.

thats a great price ,the zumo 450(-minus some application) might be all you need and coast less.

dont forget to get the updated maps for life,its worth it imo.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
If you get the non-Harley version it doesn't have the list of dealerships already pre-loaded, however, if u search HDFormus you will find links to download the dealership file. Get the POI Loader from the Garmin web site and load up the dealership file, otherwise you will be back to using the iPod for finding your dealers.

I love my Zumo 550. I too have the non-Harley version. Great unit and it sounds like your getting a decent deal.
Yeah, I knew about the POI downloads. From what I understand, the only thing you can't do with the regular Zumo is hook it up to the interface module, which I don't want to do anyway. I was really on the fence about getting one, but this last trip convinced me that they're worth it.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by jpalm
Yeah, I knew about the POI downloads. From what I understand, the only thing you can't do with the regular Zumo is hook it up to the interface module, which I don't want to do anyway. I was really on the fence about getting one, but this last trip convinced me that they're worth it.
Yup same thing here with not wanting the interface. I have a Nolan N90 helmet with the NComm bluetooth set-up and its great. I paired the Zumo and the helmet, then the Zumo to my cell phone and everything works great. The regular Zumo is a good chunk less $$ than the HD version

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up one last year from a fellow forum member for a little less than what this is. Great unit. I've used it on the bike and in the car. It is a bit chunky but works very well. Now I didn't get the warranty as being private deal so this price seems pretty good with warranty.

Loading the dealership POI's was cake.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser

I paid $502 for the zumo 660 around the holidays. I think you can do better on the price.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a decent price for the 550 zumo,I did alot of searching around when the 550 came out, bought mine through PCNation.com for $659.00 shipped,at that time it was a very good buy. if you trust the mechant your buying from to in fact have and ship"new" go for it, or look for someone looking to upgrade and buy their 550 zumo.it is a very good unit,i've had not one single issue with mine,it's weathered many a heavy rain storm for days on trips,play all my music throught it off SD card,in mp3 format,plugged into my sony's aux port from the zumo. also have my phone and my scala Q2 head set paired with my 550,again works nice.
there are all kinds of GPS web forums around,all with just about any free downloads,including all the HD dealers in N.America. zumoforums.com is a very good site for just about any questions you might have about the 550

there was also at one time a member of zumo forums,who made and sold a thumb screw to replace the tiny security screw to hold the clasp on the mount closed (that little screw is a pain) the knurled thumb screw makes it so much easier to take the zumo off the mount to lock it up when away from the bike/traveling..........they do get stolen!

enjoy!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?...sg9020#msg9020

here's the link to the thumb screw i was talking about,alot easier than carrying around that mirco screw driver,lol

Quick Reply: Decent deal on a Zumo 550