Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$900 at the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 AM
BradyG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$600 for the parts kit after my 10% discount, straight from the parts manual. If you have an FLHTX, that's the price. In addition to the kit, there are wires that must be spliced and a connector added. I don't doubt the 4 hours.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 AM
BradyG
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
...HUH?..are you saying just the detachable hardware, plus quick-disconnect wiring is $600?..or does that include a tour-pack box too?.. and 4 hours to install?......I made my EG Classic tour pack detachable for about $200 I think for the hardware...and I did it myself in about 1 hour...
The kit was $600, install will be $300. I already has the Tour Pak, thus the need for a quick disconnect. Maybe I should say "want" instead of "need". How can you "need" a quick disconnect on a bike you "wanted".

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...wow, BradyG...not implying you're getting screwed..if it's all out of the parts catalog then it is what it is..just shocked at how expensive it is on that bike...I mean a tour-pack itself is around the same price done and on a bike...on my 05 EGC it was just so much cheaper..and other than the wire work...it should be the same basic parts...a new mount plate for the tour pack, and then the docking hardware...pretty straight forward...oh well...

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM
BradyG
Advanced

Absolutely was too expensive. Wish I had thought about it and negotiated it in the deal for the bike. Thought long and hard about sinking that much into it. I don't imagine they sell a lot of these things. It's sort of like a tennis racket.. not good for much of anything but when you need it, nothing else will do.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

$900 sounds right. In the future you might call a few different dealers for quotes, just to be sure the one you choose is competitive.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
BradyG
Advanced

The only other dealer within an hours drive is in Spartanburg, SC. They are actually much closer than Greenville but was not impressed by their shop guys. The guy at the desk was eating french fries and had trouble finding it in the book. One of (if not the only) mechanic walked by and I asked him what was involved. He walked over to a bike on the floor, squatted down and started looking under the Tour Pak, figuring it out as he went. I called Greenville and the guy in service that answered the phone said "Oh yeah, we've put a couple of those on the Ultra. That requires the wiring harness that's not in the box. I believe the labor rate is 4 hours but let me look it up. The last guy we put one on for had the new antennae made by Harley installed in the fairing and didn't have to swap the antenna's".
My barber (retired Highway Patrol) said he was having service work on his bike at Spartanburg and they scratched his tank. He immediately noticed it and pointed it out before he touched the bike. They guy in the shop that did it even admitted to it, they offered to "touch it up". To make a long story short, had to go to court to get them to replace it.
Since it has a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty, I plan on letting the dealer to all work. No doubt I could put it on but would rather let them do the work and I do the riding.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

About right on for an HD dealer. Could have done it for about $600 at an independent, or cheaper.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

If you don't have the time, tools or knowledge, then you better have the bucks!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
BradyG
Advanced

If you have all 4, you have options. I sat in the bar next door, drank beer, watched the babes and wide screen while the tech installed the disconnect. They washed the bike and we were rolling.

Attached Thumbnails 0 at the dealer today-img_0762.jpg   0 at the dealer today-img_0758.jpg