Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$900 at the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds about right for a Dealer. My local Dealer wanted 550.00 to replace both front and rear tires. I bought my tires from Jake Wilson and installed them myself for less than half that.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you did not get screwed. Not unless the work is shoddy, or they did not perform all the checks listed in the manual.

Could you have gotten a better deal? Maybe a little, but not 50% less, unless you did all the work yourself. But you said you don't have the tools or the knowledge. Well, tools can be bought, and no one is born knowing how to work on their bike.

A good way to start is by doing your own oil changes. You don't need a lot of tools, and you can save at least 30-40 bucks every time you do it, enough to pay for the manual and tools after two changes.

Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations and paying to have the work done either, but just understand that it ain't gonna be cheap. More often than not it's better to go to a place you know and trust that does good work, than it is to always go with the cheapest bid.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you did just fine. don't listen to all these guys that do their own work. that dealer has a lot of money tied up in his business...and a lot of mouths that are dependent on him to put food on their table and a roof over their head. the dealer cannot make a living just selling new bikes. every dollar you spend helps to stimulate the economy. the dealer has a mortgage to pay, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.. they deserve a good return on their investment.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..screwed?...I don't know...but I'll tell you who DID get screwed...the kid I talked to today with a 2001 Caddy CTS...he paid $800 for a fuel pump...and $500 for a starter...YIKES!...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
you did just fine. don't listen to all these guys that do their own work. that dealer has a lot of money tied up in his business...and a lot of mouths that are dependent on him to put food on their table and a roof over their head. the dealer cannot make a living just selling new bikes. every dollar you spend helps to stimulate the economy. the dealer has a mortgage to pay, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.. they deserve a good return on their investment.
Good point, the next time I go into a Dealer to buy something I'll remember what you posted. whatever he charges, I'll Say, I know you have all these expenses and mouths to feed and since you are so cheap with your service and parts, here's an extra hundred.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Gofer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a big fan of the local indy. He does great work at a fraction of the dealer cost.
First impressions are a b!tch and my first time in a dealer service, they got brake fluid all over and didn't wipe it done.
I cover the basics of fluid changes, spark plugs, etc...
Everything else goes to the indy.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Oh...so this was just a quickie trip?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Good point, the next time I go into a Dealer to buy something I'll remember what you posted. whatever he charges, I'll Say, I know you have all these expenses and mouths to feed and since you are so cheap with your service and parts, here's an extra hundred.
I believe I will join you, I would hate to have the dealer and his staff suffer because I am a DIY'er. After all, my only purpose on this planet is to improve the well being of someone else.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Cool Were they laughing ?

Originally Posted by Gotastreetglide
Just picked my bike up today.
Cost was $900.
For that I got:
* 2 new tires installed
* 15,000 mile service
* New brakes all around

Did I get screwed or did I do ok.
I do not have the tools, knowledge, or time to do the work myself.
Riding season is coming and I do not want to be in the shop then, so I did it now.
The best way to tell if you got a good deal or not... the next time you make a big $$ purchase, as you are walking out the door w/ reciept in hand, quickly turn around and look at the service manager and see if he is snickering or worse yet laughing. That should give you an idea.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
retgi
Cruiser

I don't let the dealer touch my SG unless it's a warranty issue or I'm too stupid to do it myself. I'll let them or whoever has the best price replace the tires and /or rebuild the engine but I'll do the rest with my service manual.

Quick Reply: $900 at the dealer today