Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$900 at the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad. And like the ad says, SO much is riding on your tires (and brakes).

Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank God for Indys. I just got both tires mounted and balanced(I furnished the tires), new brakes front and rear, new front motor mount, new clutch cable, new throttle cables, steering head bearing tightened, fuel filter cleaned, complete fluid change all 3 holes for 700.00.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you do not have the tools, knowledge, or time to do the work it does not sound like you really have much of a choice. Kinda stuck with whatever price they stick you for even if you are getting screwed.

The $900 you paid for what you had done is in the ballpark for dealer rates.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'd estimate close to $400 buying parts on line and doing all the work myself. $900 sound about right for a dealer, and indy might be a couple hundred less.
Sometimes it pays to shop around.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotastreetglide
Just picked my bike up today.
Cost was $900.
For that I got:
* 2 new tires installed
* 15,000 mile service
* New brakes all around

Did I get screwed or did I do ok.
I do not have the tools, knowledge, or time to do the work myself.
Riding season is coming and I do not want to be in the shop then, so I did it now.
Sounds OK. The price friendliest of the 5 dealers in my area just quoted me $854 before tax for Elite 3's, new front stock rotors and pads, all installed. Nothing done with the back brakes though. If I was not doing the rotors, I would do the pads myself. But I figure as long as the front tire is off..............

Last edited by Markymannn; 02-11-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

The main thing is your bike is all ready to hit the road. I "CHOOSE" to have the HD Shop do mine also. Sometimes they may be a bit over priced but it always works out in the end. Ride safe.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotastreetglide
Just picked my bike up today.
Cost was $900.
For that I got:
* 2 new tires installed
* 15,000 mile service
* New brakes all around

Did I get screwed or did I do ok.
I do not have the tools, knowledge, or time to do the work myself.
Riding season is coming and I do not want to be in the shop then, so I did it now.
Get the service manuel and do the service yourself. It's eaiser than one thinks. I do everything except tires. Letting the dealer do only the tires would saved more than half of the $900

Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM
jaxbusa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you got "screwed" by the dealer or not. I got a nail in my rear tire last week and got it replaced. It was $185 just for the tire plus $75 labor at an indi. The truth is that unless you're a parts guy, we're all getting "screwed". I understand a shop's rate (at least most of them), but the cost of parts is just unreal. Also, I don't know what's done at a 15,000 mile service, but just do the fluid stuff on your own. I never changed a set of handle bars, but I looked at a manual and this forum for tips and help. I now know more about my bike and have a higher sence of appreciation for it. I think I am going to wash it now.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

wHEN I BOUGHT MY BIKE I WAS BOUND AND DETERMINED TO LEARN AS MUCH AS I COULD ABOUT IT....i only let the dealer do warranty work. All else i do myself...Basic tools and a Jack ...hell it's easier than you think ...I convinced one of my buddies to do some stuff himself and he was very satisfied to save the money and it's very therapeutic...Who would've thought i would change cams in my own Harley and Hell i just finished it...They make it sound very scary and complicated but in fact it is very simple if you follow instructions well you can't go wrong...I have yet in 8 or 9 tire chages taken it to a dealer...i take my wheels off and carry them to an Indy...Cnage my own fluids, , Changed my own bars, changed my buddy's clutch cable (after i/we broke it)I do my own brakes...Etc....I can't even add up all the money i have saved...

The main thing is if you feel comfortable paying somebody to do it for you and "YOU" don't feel like you got screwed then you didn't.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds about right for dealer OR indy's around here. Not much difference.

Quick Reply: $900 at the dealer today