Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto and Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this has already been addressed, but one benefit the PCV has over flash units is warranty issues you may have if your ECM fails. There have been failures with ECM (even unrelated to flashing) where dealers refused warranty work. You'd then have to fight to get a fix.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Iclick,
You said what I was trying to say in a "nutshell"... human error/factor with the PV! I agree with you... the PV is no better than the PCV when it comes to putting extra performance into your bike. Like you said... someone using the PV is more likely to make mistakes in tune development than say Jamie and the Troops at FuelMoto developing a tune on a bike on the dyno for the PCV.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
Not sure if this has already been addressed, but one benefit the PCV has over flash units is warranty issues you may have if your ECM fails. There have been failures with ECM (even unrelated to flashing) where dealers refused warranty work. You'd then have to fight to get a fix.
Although warranty issues on these tuners is always a good consideration... I find it to be a moot point. Some dealers like mine here sell the Power Commanders at tell me that they will still honor the factory warranty of the bike with the tuner on it. Others however report that some dealers wont touch a bike with these simple bolt-on mods that we do. So, it seems half dozen one to the other when it comes to that issue.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
Iclick,
You said what I was trying to say in a "nutshell"... human error/factor with the PV! I agree with you... the PV is no better than the PCV when it comes to putting extra performance into your bike. Like you said... someone using the PV is more likely to make mistakes in tune development than say Jamie and the Troops at FuelMoto developing a tune on a bike on the dyno for the PCV.
Yeah, that would be true given the additional settings available. I hope anyone playing around like that has the smarts to save their original map in case of problems. Every time I make a change to my PCV settings I save the previous map as well as the new one, as although I think I know what I'm doing I want a reverse path just in case I really don't. I've backpedaled before, but never because of any monumental screw-up...yet.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
Although warranty issues on these tuners is always a good consideration... I find it to be a moot point. Some dealers like mine here sell the Power Commanders at tell me that they will still honor the factory warranty of the bike with the tuner on it. Others however report that some dealers wont touch a bike with these simple bolt-on mods that we do. So, it seems half dozen one to the other when it comes to that issue.
It all depends on the dealer. I've never hidden anything from mine, and they know I screw-around with the bike all the time. When I had a tranny bearing fail 18 months ago they talked HD into honoring the work in warranty even though the bike was 10 months out of the factory warranty. At that time I had a PCV-AT, SE255 cams, non-HD fluid in the tranny (Redline SPH), as well as many other unauthorized mods, all of which I installed myself--but that didn't matter. They knew none of it contributed to the problem and went to bat for me. OTOH other dealers can apparently be ****** and deny a warranty for some small, unrelated mods--although that doesn't seem like a prescription for a good long-term relationship with their customers. Anyway, they can't legally deny warranty work if a third-party part doesn't contribute to the problem.

Last edited by iclick; 02-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out my new thread titled "Vision Tuner Demo - New Video".
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...new-video.html

I'll show you how easy it is to "Flash-on-the-Fly" AND all my other new Fuel Moto Goodies!

Last edited by GoPro Steevo; 02-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pittz5
Do you have to leave the PV hooked up to bike or can you load map and leave it at home? I dont want anything on my handlebars. Just curious and im sure its been answersed somewhere before. Also, what is the price difference between the two. If im looking at getting a tuner today should I stick with Fuel Moto or go with the Rev Perf tuner? Too many decisions...I really want to get away from dynoing the damn bike all the time..;-)

Just something to be aware of. This thread mentions that the display is not waterproof. Maybe Jamie can confirm.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...wervision.html

Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
the display is not waterproof
correct but it IS water resistant