Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto and Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the difference between the Power Commander and the Dynojet?

Joe

Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
What is the difference between the Power Commander and the Dynojet?

Joe
powercommander is a fuel management solution by the dynojet corp.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 AM
OutdoorJoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crescentmotor
"with the powervision, you are doing a direct edit to the map and still get to utilize the o2 sensors, and no worries about a piggyback box going bad on you."

That is my line of thinking. On another motorcycle I owned, the Power Commander III occassionally dropped the map. In addition, the unit eventually failed. With the Vision, those issues go away and the extra money fixes the ECM permanently (barring other changes to the bike).
With Fuel Moto being experts in Power Commanders I would like to hear what percentage of units they sell drop maps or eventually fail....If I were to guess it would be a very small, almost non existant percentage of the units they have dealt with....

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had the power package (mufflers, A/C, PCV) on my '09 almost since I got my bike. 2 Years now. I have ridden in a range of conditions from temps in lower teens to lower 100s, heavy rain, heavy dust. Everything has worked perfectly. The bike runs exceptionally well. The chrome has stayed flawless. The install is incredibly easy. That said, when I hit 40K (in 2012) I will probably go with their 107 kit, 2 into 1, and powervision. Good luck finding anything negative about Fuelmoto, I've never seen anything. Excellent products, Excellent Service!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
powercommander is a fuel management solution by the dynojet corp.
That part I figured out. Guess what I was asking was, what is the Difference between Power Commander and the Dynojet EFI tuner?
From what I read on the website, they seem to be the same thing, just different pricing. Is there a difference?

Joe

Last edited by PDDGM; 02-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by OutdoorJoe
With Fuel Moto being experts in Power Commanders I would like to hear what percentage of units they sell drop maps or eventually fail....If I were to guess it would be a very small, almost non existant percentage of the units they have dealt with....
i've never had a unit drop a map, but i can see that eventually, that little box is gonna take a dump on you. fuelmoto may be experts, but they don't manufacture the box, someone else does. boxes may not go bad often, but you gotta admit, the chances of one going bad are greater than just your ecm going bad.

Originally Posted by PDDGM
That part I figured out. Guess what I was asking was, what is the Difference between Power Commander and the Dynojet EFI tuner?
From what I read on the website, they seem to be the same thing, just different pricing. Is there a difference?

Joe
i guess now i'm confused. dynojet manufactures several different efi tuners. there is the pciii-usb, the pciii-usb manufactured specifically for fuelmoto (does not have the adjustment buttons on the face), the pcv, and the powervision. there are also older units, and other accessories to go along with them. as far as pricing, fuelmoto is gonna beat the dynojet msrp hands down, and double the warranty on the unit. basically, you can't go wrong with fuelmoto.

have i sufficiently muddied the water here? maybe a link to the specific website that are referencing would be helpful...

Last edited by skratch; 02-12-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by crescentmotor
"with the powervision, you are doing a direct edit to the map and still get to utilize the o2 sensors, and no worries about a piggyback box going bad on you."

That is my line of thinking. On another motorcycle I owned, the Power Commander III occassionally dropped the map. In addition, the unit eventually failed. With the Vision, those issues go away and the extra money fixes the ECM permanently (barring other changes to the bike).
Your PCIII experience was unusual, as I've never heard of any PC "dropping a map," and both these and the PCV are historically very reliable. BTW, how does the unit "drop a map"? Few fail (<1% according to Fuel Moto) and I don't ever recall hearing about anyone becoming stranded on the road because of a malfunctioning PC. If it does fail, just unplug it and return to stock ECM mode, as that will get you home.

All that said, the PV looks like the wave of the future in tuning, at least until someone one-ups them as the parade of progress continues. The only downside for me is that I'm a fan of the ability to switch between two maps on the fly, a bailiwick of the PCIII (with Hub) and PCV. In fact, the PCV can switch between numerous maps with the LCD-200 display unit--which I don't recommend, BTW.

Last edited by iclick; 02-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

i've never had a unit drop a map, but i can see that eventually, that little box is gonna take a dump on you. fuelmoto may be experts, but they don't manufacture the box, someone else does. boxes may not go bad often, but you gotta admit, the chances of one going bad are greater than just your ecm going bad.
Why would that be? They are both constructed with commercial-grade solid-state components designed for the task and their failure rate is very low. Among those few returned to Fuel Moto, I'm told, most test without any indication of problems.

i guess now i'm confused. dynojet manufactures several different efi tuners. there is the pciii-usb, the pciii-usb manufactured specifically for fuelmoto (does not have the adjustment buttons on the face), the pcv, and the powervision. there are also older units, and other accessories to go along with them. as far as pricing, fuelmoto is gonna beat the dynojet msrp hands down, and double the warranty on the unit. basically, you can't go wrong with fuelmoto.
+1

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

To the OP, the feedback you see for Fuel Moto is there for a reason, as IMO the PCV from them is the best bang-for-the-buck tuning option for most riders. For $300 you just can't beat having a plug-and-play tuner with a correct map installed, for most without the need for a dyno-tune. If you do upgrades in the future the chances are high FM will have a map to fit your needs then too, and will upgrade you at no extra charge.

As for PV, it is another perspective on tuning shared by several flash-based tuners already in existence. The PV does things the PCV can't do, and to a lesser extent vice versa, but you and many of us may never have a need for tapping its reservoir of features. IMO the PV is more complex to tweak, my opinion based on no hands-on experience and only reading through the manual and a few threads on the forums, although given a correct map should be plug-and-play and worry-free. Like the PCV it doesn't necessary require interaction by the rider, although I doubt if many of us could resist the temptation to tweak. Like climbing Mt. Everest "because it is there," we tweak our tuners because we can. I think you might just find the temptation too great and eventually venture into the dark forest of tuner tweaking, especially after reading some tales of adventure some of us have encountered.

Last edited by iclick; 02-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
OutdoorJoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without solid evidence there is no way I would admit the chances of them failing would be any more than any other part. I know that things do happen, and equipment fails, but I have seen no evidence to show a PC is any less reliable than anything the moco offers.

The only negative things I have heard regarding a PC is from a Stealership that wanted to sell me their product/dyno tune time.

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto and Question