Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 RED RK

If I need hand protection - I'll buy some type of temporary cover for clutch and brake
Gerbing heated gloves and heated grips give all the cold weather protection I need on my RK.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gorgeous bike!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Good to hear that Have a set in my garage waiting to go on in a month or so when weather gets a bit better...
You'll like 'em! They do a great job of keeping the wind off your feet -- no more feeling like they're being pushed off the floorboards -- but when you want wind flow just open the vents and you get plenty. They're also a lot more aerodynamic than the soft covers I was using before, and that makes a difference at higher speeds.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
hank-hill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I am really happy about is I went with the plane Jane version meaning. I have ridding my buddies ultra in the past and don't care for the heavy frontend feel. With the plane fairing the front end stays light and I don't really need music when riding. Check out Woody's Fairing when I bought mine he let me try out many windshields until I found the size I like. Great person to do business with

Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
no fairing....do some apes and a removable windsheild and a backrest...you'll be glad you did
What he said. If you want a Electra buy one you have a Road King . Ride a Road King. My 2 cents

Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fork mounted deflectors and Lowers

I read and was told you couldn't run them together. I see you have them. They do not hit the lowers when turned to the stops?
I have an Ultra but there is still a lot of wind on my knees and legs. I have thought maybe I need to slide the lowers in more or out more.

My last Ultra was a 98 and only the outside of my left boot got wet. On my 08 Both feet and knees get soaked in the rain. The 98 was warmer in the winter also.

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
The lower's are standard Ultra lowers, I picked them up off E-bay with the hard covers for $325.00.

I went throught the buffiting fight trying to get that calm pocket of air we all want behind the fairing, The last thing that went on was the fork mounted air deflectors and they gave me the calm pocket I wanted. The fairing mounted deflectors are Freedom Wings and I'm happy to have them. when it get hot i can use them to actually dirrect air on me.

I found an person on E-bay that builds the fairing I have. He only builds a couple of dozen fairings a year. It also the only one I've see that comes with a place for a 2" gauge/tach. If your interested PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address you can contact him dirrectly.

Here is a link to the build of my fairing. PM me if you have any other questions.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-fairing.html

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 Classic and since it does get cold here in Arizona I did order a Memphis shades and I like it for what it does. It takes less than 1 minute to install or remove and even with 16" apes, It keeps a lot of wind off my body.

I wouldn't ride with it above 60 degrees for sure. I LOVE the look of the Roadking Classic and the shield is only a temporary and occasional use product.

You lose to much view of the road with the shield and it takes away the beautiful lines.

On a long ride, like 8 hours or more I might slap it on. Just to keep the bugs and road debris off my handsome face.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
motordog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monstead: Love your bike. Very nice.

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
no fairing....do some apes and a removable windsheild and a backrest...you'll be glad you did
+1 especially on the apes.

Originally Posted by Neckball
This is one of the benefits of the Klock Werks Billboard Flare windshield.. I guess I should write up a review.
Don't want to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about the Billboard Flare. I think the curved flow of the windshield will work with my bars. Want to use the shield for long runs. Please, if you get a chance Neckball, write one up.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I use XM Radio with BlueTooth headset (in helmet) so I don't need the external tunes.
Where do you plug in and mount/carry the XM radio? Is it a portable device?

Can the Blue tooth headset work with a half helmet?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Here in the Pacific Northwest, if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride on a lot of days. Running a fairing and lowers in the fall through spring gets me out on the road on a lot of days where the bike might otherwise stay parked. In the summer months, I'll strip the bike down to just a set of leather bags and no windshield for running around town. For me, having the Road King instead of a Street Glide is about choices.

Quick Reply: To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King