Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I've got a Woody's fairing with tunes on mine. The fairing has never been back off since I put it on.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
no fairing....do some apes and a removable windsheild and a backrest...you'll be glad you did
Yep....what he said

Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say I really appreciate all the input..... I still think it's about 50/50, no clear "right way." I was looking at a used hoppe but I think I'll pickup a Klockwerks Billboard first since I haven't even ridden with a windshield for any length of time. I think for me the right thing is to buy a Street Glide or add a Street Glide fairing to my King if I ever decide it's time for a fairing. Thanks for all the great input!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Ricbo
Advanced

I have a Dragonfly on my 04' RKC. I like it. I like the tunes when I'm out and if I don't want to listen I just turn it off. I'm not a IPOD rider. Want to be able to here for sirens or the scretching tires that my be around or coming at me. Thats my .02.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought my King used for a decent price and almost no miles from a guy I have known a long time. The w/s did alright at first but the air around the sides kept me in a turbulence pocket and in the rain it was miserable; added fork baffle, fork side deflectors, then the Dead Center Fairing painted to match, have added lowers since and not unhappy with any of it. There are those days I like stripped down King, others as for long trips full blown shielding.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
1ADAM12
Cruiser

I put a dragonfly on my 06 rk best thing i bout then i later added the controls on the handle bars go for it way better than a windsheild

Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Started with Dead Center Cycles Fairing, added gauges. Then put a King TP on the back. Added rear speaker pods, then added lower rear bag bumpers, a front bumper, front lowers. All this stuff never comes off. Love ever ride. NEVER had issues with buffeting, or heavy front end feeling.

Go for it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put a Dead Center fairing on my bike after renting a Street Glide and figuring out how well it handled, not to mention, I LOVE having music when I ride.

Got the DeadCenter 2nd-hand and with paint, KlockWerks windshield, upgrading the speakers and adding an amp, I have in it what I'd have in it were I to get it new w/o the upgraded speakers and amp.

The fairing stays on most of the time, since I generally use the bike for longer rides & touring. I pop off the fairing on occasion for shorter jaunts. I've come to realize I'm not much of a 'bar-hopper' or around town kinda rider (which is why the Deluxe is going to be up for sale this spring) so a faired bike works for me. I definitely prefer the look of my bike w/o all the "stuff", but the fairing benefits generally win-out over aesthetics.

My windshield is fine most of the time, but I get buffeting on occasion depending on wind speed and direction. I know there are ways to correct it, but it's not worth it at this point.

Definitely prefer the look of the bike w/o the fairing...or windshield for that matter.

Observations:

Bike handles wind better in MOST situations. Less buffeting. I get it every now and again with fairing...more-so with my windshield.

I really don't notice the weight of the fairing, although, when it's off, the bike "feels" smaller. Actually, the bike feels more top-heavy when the tank is full than when the fairing is on.

LOVE the music...usually plug in my iPod or listen to XM. I would not recommend the basic speakers and no-amp option DeadCenter has...hard to hear it. This is why I upgraded.

Not very easy to get the fairing on the bike. This was not the case when I first got it...but it's been taken apart a few times for various things (PITA to put back together!) and I suspect the brackets are a now bit tweaked. It helps to have a 2nd pair of hands, but I can do it myself.

I will get a faired bike next time...but I love the flexibility of my RKC and at the moment, am content as it is.

Last edited by monstead; 02-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twinrider
btw, fairing lowers make a big difference in long distance comfort on the king, highly recommended.

Good to hear that Have a set in my garage waiting to go on in a month or so when weather gets a bit better...

Wouldn't mind eventually getting a fairing...would love to mix the look up 3 different ways

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by monstead
I put a Dead Center fairing on my bike after renting a Street Glide and figuring out how well it handled, not to mention, I LOVE having music when I ride.

Got the DeadCenter 2nd-hand and with paint, KlockWerks windshield, upgrading the speakers and adding an amp, I have in it what I'd have in it were I to get it new w/o the upgraded speakers and amp.

The fairing stays on most of the time, since I generally use the bike for longer rides & touring. I pop off the fairing on occasion for shorter jaunts. I've come to realize I'm not much of a 'bar-hopper' or around town kinda rider (which is why the Deluxe is going to be up for sale this spring) so a faired bike works for me. I definitely prefer the look of my bike w/o all the "stuff", but the fairing benefits generally win-out over aesthetics.

My windshield is fine most of the time, but I get buffeting on occasion depending on wind speed and direction. I know there are ways to correct it, but it's not worth it at this point.

Definitely prefer the look of the bike w/o the fairing...or windshield for that matter.

Observations:

Bike handles wind better in MOST situations. Less buffeting. I get it every now and again with fairing...more-so with my windshield.

I really don't notice the weight of the fairing, although, when it's off, the bike "feels" smaller. Actually, the bike feels more top-heavy when the tank is full than when the fairing is on.

LOVE the music...usually plug in my iPod or listen to XM. I would not recommend the basic speakers and no-amp option DeadCenter has...hard to hear it. This is why I upgraded.

Not very easy to get the fairing on the bike. This was not the case when I first got it...but it's been taken apart a few times for various things (PITA to put back together!) and I suspect the brackets are a now bit tweaked. It helps to have a 2nd pair of hands, but I can do it myself.

I will get a faired bike next time...but I love the flexibility of my RKC and at the moment, am content as it is.

Your bike looks killer! I love that paint scheme on the RKC...if I went that route I probably would have went with that color combo...looks great!

Quick Reply: To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King