Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have a memphis shades fairing on my '09 roadking...wish i had bought an electraglide...fairings are great...will never take it off.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

I put a Woody's Fairing on my 06 RK,I thought I would keep it on just when the weather is cold[early spring-late fall].This fairing never comes off,love it.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas Rapier..... What brand of fairing is that that went together for $800??

Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you bought your RK for it's styling ( no fairing ) but are looking for a little more protection you should consider the Klockwerks Billboard Flare windshield. I got one in December and it's a noticeable difference.

Last edited by Neckball; 02-11-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No fairing if you want tunes use an iPod and headphones. Love the paint I'm very jealous. If you put apes on your hands aren't behind the fairing anyways so a windshield will work almost as well. Fwiw I'm looking at the klockwerks billboard windshield for my king.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brockstwrt
No fairing if you want tunes use an iPod and headphones. Love the paint I'm very jealous. If you put apes on your hands aren't behind the fairing anyways so a windshield will work almost as well. Fwiw I'm looking at the klockwerks billboard windshield for my king.
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked it out on the Klockwerks site. Looks like a worthy option.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Road King rider and I use a Memphis Shades fairing. Winter when it's cold, it's on ALL the time. When it warms up, it comes off. I ride most days 20 miles to/from work (40 round-trip). No fairing is great when it's warm. But even when it's warm, if I'm going very far, the fairing goes back on. A lot more 'peaceful' ride with it in place. I like the cheap fairing fine. I use XM Radio with BlueTooth headset (in helmet) so I don't need the external tunes.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

TR, I love the lowers on your bike. Did you get them new or 2nd hand? How expensive were they if you don't mind me asking? Also, do the wind deflectors on the side of the fairing and along the forks help with wind buffeting?
The lower's are standard Ultra lowers, I picked them up off E-bay with the hard covers for $325.00.

I went throught the buffiting fight trying to get that calm pocket of air we all want behind the fairing, The last thing that went on was the fork mounted air deflectors and they gave me the calm pocket I wanted. The fairing mounted deflectors are Freedom Wings and I'm happy to have them. when it get hot i can use them to actually dirrect air on me.

Texas Rapier..... What brand of fairing is that that went together for $800??
I found an person on E-bay that builds the fairing I have. He only builds a couple of dozen fairings a year. It also the only one I've see that comes with a place for a 2" gauge/tach. If your interested PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address you can contact him dirrectly.

Here is a link to the build of my fairing. PM me if you have any other questions.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-fairing.html

Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm one of the guys who enjoys running around with no fairing or windshield at times. Probably 9 months out of the year, the fairing stays on, but between late June through mid September, it's probably about 50/50.

The bikes handle much better without the fairing, but you do get used to the different feel with the fairing.

I picked up my fairing used off ebay. I sent it in to Dragonfly for repair and paint, and they wound up replacing it for the price of repairs, so I wound up getting a killer deal on mine.

Last edited by Mike; 02-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gogogadgetbiker

I absolutely love the way my bike looks now but as I get older bar-hopping is no longer an interest and long trips to "get away" are more an more appealing. That being said not every weekend can be a "Long Trip" so "I think" I would rather leave my Road King a Road King when the Geezer Glide stuff wasn't needed.
The stock windshield blocks wind like a barn door, there is absolutely no reason why you can't do long trips with it. Another plus is that you can remove it and bungee it to the tour-pak rack when you don't need it during your trips.

The only reason I could see going with a fairing would be if you want a stereo system.

btw, fairing lowers make a big difference in long distance comfort on the king, highly recommended.

Quick Reply: To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King