Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hank-hill
I have a Woody's fairing on my king and love it. One thing o remember is if you wear a helmet read up on buffering effects over 55mph. Drove me nuts until I learned what causes buffering.
So what did you have to do to cease the problem?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put a fairing on my roadking and hated it! The front end got heavy with the added fairing..the bike handled like crap...I wish I wouldnt have even tried one...because the money I lost after selling it, wasnt worth it....But everyone is different you might buy one and love it. Just thought I would tell you my experience.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
no fairing....do some apes and a removable windsheild and a backrest...you'll be glad you did
Exactly... Get some 16 or 18 inch apes and get gangsta... lol... Your bike would be real nice with apes and a nice lowering kit..

Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
hank-hill
Tourer

Lower fairings and the side deflector

Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner

Originally Posted by youngrider
I put a fairing on my roadking and hated it! The front end got heavy with the added fairing..the bike handled like crap...I wish I wouldnt have even tried one...because the money I lost after selling it, wasnt worth it....But everyone is different you might buy one and love it. Just thought I would tell you my experience.
Interesting..... I wonder how many more have a similar story??

Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a personal choice, period. Personally, I don't want a fairing on my RK. I've been riding 50+ years and never had a windshield until a couple of years ago and not sure I'll even leave it on this RK. Too much engine noise comes up through the shield. Will get some miles on it and then make a decision.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a used Dead Center fairing from Blue Duck here on the forums. I paid less than a grand for it and had it painted black to match my bike. I absolutely love having it and leave it on about 99% of the time. If I do take it off, it's to go without the fairing or windshield and is for around town. To me, it was well worth the money. I'm looking into adding some gauges above the stereo to fill the blank gap there.

1. For those who have added the fairing for certain trips, was it worth the expense if you only use it for long trips? Yes, it was worth every penny.

2. For those that added a fairing and leave it on all the time....Do you wish you had just added a Street Glide fairing instead of the removable type? Seems to be around the same price. I prefer to leave it as a detachable, just in case. If you go 2nd hand, you can save yourself a ton of $$$.

3. Any reason not to buy a used detatchable knowing that no matter what it has to be painted? There is no reason whatsoever not to buy used, you can save yourself some serious cash. I contacted Blue Duck here on the forums and asked him to send pics so I could see the condition of it before I committed. Once we struck a deal, I sent him the money and he shipped it out ASAP. I had it in less than a week I believe. Once I had it in my possession I contacted Dead Center to order the wire kit that goes to the battery so I could plug the fairing's wire harness into it. Dead Center is AWESOME to work with. They have GREAT customer service.

4. Any problems with the Hoppe 4 speaker fairings? Sorry, I don't have any experience with Hoppe or 4 speakers.

Here, check these out. Hopefully it'll help you make an informed decision.

Used and not my color:

With the windshield:

With the fairing:

Last edited by JakeInMa; 02-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
RoadKing Warrior
Intermediate

I have a Dead Center Cycles fairing as well. It's a great piece of gear that has extended my riding season quite a bit in Upper Mid-Atlantic.

1. For those who have added the fairing for certain trips, was it worth the expense if you only use it for long trips? I absolutely love it.

2. For those that added a fairing and leave it on all the time....Do you wish you had just added a Street Glide fairing instead of the removable type? I don't leave it on all year. Mostly used for long runs and winter riding.

3. Any reason not to buy a used detatchable knowing that no matter what it has to be painted? Dunno, I bought new.

4. Any problems with the Hoppe 4 speaker fairings? Dunno, as mentioned... I have a Dead Center Cycles fairing.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Putting a fairing on a Road King is a personal choice, I have an aftermarket fairing on my bike and it stays on 95% of the time.

As to putting a actual glide fairing on it's a pretty pricy undertaking. First, while the Road King And the Glide are all pretty much the same bike the Road King does not have the same wiring harness. So there is no place to plug in the sub harnesses for the Glide fairing.

Putting a Harley fairing togeather using a mixture of new and used parts is still going to cost on average of 2K

The harley fairing is heavier then most aftermarkets, with all the gauges, stereo and speakers. The fairing bikes have different springs in the front forks to handle the differance in weight.

I probably have around $800.00 in my fairing complete, but I did do all the set-up, installation and wiring myself.

Would I do it again. Yes

If I buy another Harley it will be a factory fairing bike.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
Putting a fairing on a Road King is a personal choice, I have an aftermarket fairing on my bike and it stays on 95% of the time.

As to putting a actual glide fairing on it's a pretty pricy undertaking. First, while the Road King And the Glide are all pretty much the same bike the Road King does not have the same wiring harness. So there is no place to plug in the sub harnesses for the Glide fairing.

Putting a Harley fairing togeather using a mixture of new and used parts is still going to cost on average of 2K

The harley fairing is heavier then most aftermarkets, with all the gauges, stereo and speakers. The fairing bikes have different springs in the front forks to handle the differance in weight.

I probably have around $800.00 in my fairing complete, but I did do all the set-up, installation and wiring myself.

Would I do it again. Yes

If I buy another Harley it will be a factory fairing bike.

TR, I love the lowers on your bike. Did you get them new or 2nd hand? How expensive were they if you don't mind me asking? Also, do the wind deflectors on the side of the fairing and along the forks help with wind buffeting?

Quick Reply: To fairing or not to Fairing my Road King