Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION: Draggin' Bagger ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Default RE: ATTENTION: Draggin' Bagger ISSUES

If it was me I would have a air pressure gauge installed and would take note of the maximum suspension height without hitting the mufflers by the pressure on the gauge. I highly doubt there will be a fix for shock bolts hitting mufflers because its something that can't be changed, the shocks are where they are and theres nothing anybody going to do about that. I don't see why anybody would need to pump the shocks up to full extension anyway as nobody ever going to ride it like that. If a person had a gauge you could figure out ideal pressures for solo riding, two up, two up with gear etc, and eliminate any guess work. I myself haven't ordered a system and most likely won't, but it looks like some quality parts with excellent customer service and extremely low price.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The shocks are car air shocks thats why they are rated at 150, used them 35 years ago on all my hotrods, hurst were the best, having no visable rubber bladder. but anyway, they should lift to max height well below that pressure.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI: My Hi-Lo Rider air ride system is designed for stock height to 3 inches lower. No height over stock.

DB's are 3" lower + 1" higher than stock. That is where the problem with hitting the exhaust lies. Just need to be careful boys and girls.

Primo

Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
roseroid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know what height the shock is? 13 , 14 ,.It certianly is not 12 in. as stock!

Old 10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain

Stock SG height is 12" and Buddy Pro goes from 9-3/8" (riding on internal rubber stops) and max height is 11-7/8" (I believe) a c' hair under the stock height.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
My427stang
Cruiser

How about Fix-a-flat?

Just kidding of course

Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

The shocks are car air shocks thats why they are rated at 150, used them 35 years ago on all my hotrods, hurst were the best, having no visable rubber bladder. but anyway, they should lift to max height well below that pressure.
With my air gauge installed the shocks basically operate in the 65-75 PSI range. I weight 180 lbs. Around 65 PSI the shocks begin to extend and the pressure progresses up to 75 PSI. They stay at 75 PSI until full extension is achieved at which time the PSI will begin to raise as the pressure within the shocks continues to build. The only thing achieved by continuing to add pressure after full extension is to make the ride stiffer. I'm only 5' 5" so I only raise the bike up about 1" during around town rides where I will have to make frequest stops. At this height the pressure is around 65-70 PSI. When I hit the highway I raise the bike up to around stock height which is 75 PSI. In order to "know" that I'm at stock height I raise the shocks upto 75 PSI. At this point I know that the shocks are at full extension. I then release two quick bursts of air which drops the bike 1" to about stock height. It's not exact but close enough. The air gauge I'm using with these shocks doesn't give you the kind of info that the air pump we use with the stock shocks does. From 0 -65 PSI you are still sitting at full slam, 65-70 PSI is in the mid range and 75 PSI is full extension (at least at my body weight, now add another rider and everything changes).

Personally I bought this system for the convenience of not having to remove the saddle bags to change the air pressure when riding two-up and to get my feet flat on the ground at stops. I had already tried lowering the bike using a 1 1/4" So-Low kit then a 1 3/4" R.U.B. kit to get flat footed. I also lower the front 1" with the HD kit. I achieved flat foot with the RUB kit, but had to jack the presure up in the rear shocks so high that it was uncomfortable, two-up riding was down right unbearable requiring 40-45 PSI in order not to rub the rear fender. With the DB system I can ride lower than I did with the RUB kit without rubbing or having a harsh ride. I can adjust the height as desired with just a flip of a switch. So in the end this system gave me exactly what I needed to make riding my Street Glide the joy that it should be. I would never had considered a Legends system or other air ride manufacturer given their high price. So far the few problems that have arisen are minor and have been addressed appropriately and quickly by the manufacturer (Tony) at his own expense. In a lot of ways we here on this forum have been Tony's R&D and as a result the kit has been improved upon. I'm beginnng to get just a little annoyed by the people who want to say that I "got what I paid for". So far this kit has worked flawlessly for me and for countless others. I'm sure not every Legends kit has worked flawlessly especially at thier beginnings. I applaud Tony for taking initiative and starting a business like this, I only wish I had thought of it first . Over time I'm sure his system will only get better as better parts become available and/or he learns through these early kits what works and what doesn't.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: roseroid

jmorton10: It works never a problem,! Show me a pic of your bagger, always interested in what everyone else has, "see's" and does to there RIDES. !! YOU..............now.......
roid

Here is an old pic(I have since swapped the exhaust to a Supertrapp Supermeg)

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/47853108

~John

Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I would never had considered a Legends system or other air ride manufacturer given their high price.

Me either. I am willing to try the DB system for $400 myself without a 2nd thought however(heck, you could buy 4 DB systems for what the Legend system costs).

I have 12" standard spring Progressive 440's on my bike now & the ride is outstanding. My problem is, I am only 5'6" & I could really use a lower height for very low speed handling (backing out of parking spaces etc).

For $400 I bet it works just fine, but if I am not happy with the ride I will remove the system & sell it to somebody here at a great price & reinstall the Progressive's.

~John

Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

mine works fine...dont leak....it dont hit no bolt when youre on it...just abuncha bit@hy wannahave's that aint got...i'd rather give any of you 2k than spend that kind of silly money on the same stuff...cause its the same compressor...same lines....same fittings...maybe different shocks but inside they'll be damn near the same...if ole roid had bought the DB system, he coulda put some real pipes on that bike he's got with the money he saved

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Draggin' Bagger ISSUES