Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of my 1952 Duo Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great bike, in fact AWESOME bike. I am intrigued to know how a 17 year old got to lay his hands on a bike like that. I bet you felt like you had the biggest **** in the village when you rode her!!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...when will the fringes come back in style? That is one sweet looking bike.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Sgdiesel,
You have to remember that I was in high school from 1961 to 1965. This was in Highland Park, IL where almost nobody else had a cycle. I was an outcast in many ways and my parents fought tooth and nail to keep me off of cycles. Fortunately, I lived in a town about 35 miles north of Chicago where there were all kinds of war veterans riding motorcycles.

Actually, I was not all that strange except compared to others in my school but I had this notion that I wanted to ride motorcycles. I had a friend with a Vincent Black Shadow, fastest motorcycle I ever rode. Even today it would give the Hayabusa a run for its money. Anyway, I got the bug riding as passenger on his cycle. One day coming home from Chicago late at night my friend let me drive. The Vincent had only one instrument--a large speedometer center-mounted on the handlebars. We came home at 160 mph (for just a little while) on Edens Highway. That was a thrill, albeit quite a stupid one.

I do not recall the details of the purchase of my Hydra Glide as it was so long ago. But I got $525 out of my savings account and rode it home in February with my mother following behind in the car. It was a damn good thing she was there because I had to stop several times to thaw myself out in order to get home. I was just cold to the bone all the way home but I wanted that motorcycle in my garage. In those days there was no notion of renting a truck to get your cycle home in winter. We just rode it out.

That motorcycle was the talk of my high school and not much of the talk was complimentary. I was truly a rebel WITHOUT a cause, but I rode that motorcycle everywhere by myself as few others had them. My friend's Vincent disappeared when he graduated and no others locally had a cycle. So, then I cruised the highways looking for club members riding north from Chicago. I hooked up with them a couple of times but they were so much older that I'm guessing they had no use for a 17-year old kid.

As a side note, the girls in my high school loved to ride behind. Their mothers however were of a different opinion. Several of those girls, now women, yet have exhaust pipe burn scars on their left calves from dismounting against the hot pipe. It is my legacy.

Oh, by the way, I was and still am 5-feet, 5-inches tall. Back then I weighed 127 pounds, although I don't weigh that now.

Last edited by albngore; 02-10-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old man wouldn't put insurance on his and that was the main reason he didn't want me to ride it much. One weekend when they were out of town and me at the ripe age of 16 took her for a spin. I was passing a VW beetle and they turned left. I peeled off the rear fender and running board of the volks and went down. It bent the engine guard and that dented the fender. The clutch handle and the windshield broke. I chewed out the people for turning into me and split for home. I headed 50 miles to egberg H.D. the same day and bought the windshield and clutch handle. I removed the fender and got most of the dent out and sludge hammered the crash guard back into shape. It wasn't perfect but it got me through the next couple of weeks before he noticed. He wasn't someone to be on the bad side of if you know what I mean. Man the stories I have with that old pan.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albngore
Sgdiesel,
You have to remember that I was in high school from 1961 to 1965. This was in Highland Park, IL where almost nobody else had a cycle. I was an outcast in many ways and my parents fought tooth and nail to keep me off of cycles. Fortunately, I lived in a town about 35 miles north of Chicago where there were all kinds of war veterans riding motorcycles.

Actually, I was not all that strange except compared to others in my school but I had this notion that I wanted to ride motorcycles. I had a friend with a Vincent Black Shadow, fastest motorcycle I ever rode. Even today it would give the Hayabusa a run for its money. Anyway, I got the bug riding as passenger on his cycle. One day coming home from Chicago late at night my friend let me drive. The Vincent had only one instrument--a large speedometer center-mounted on the handlebars. We came home at 160 mph (for just a little while) on Edens Highway. That was a thrill, albeit quite a stupid one.

I do not recall the details of the purchase of my Hydra Glide as it was so long ago. But I got $525 out of my savings account and rode it home in February with my mother following behind in the car. It was a damn good thing she was there because I had to stop several times to thaw myself out in order to get home. I was just cold to the bone all the way home but I wanted that motorcycle in my garage. In those days there was no notion of renting a truck to get your cycle home in winter. We just rode it out.

That motorcycle was the talk of my high school and not much of the talk was complimentary. I was truly a rebel WITHOUT a cause, but I rode that motorcycle everywhere by myself as few others had them. My friend's Vincent disappeared when he graduated and no others locally had a cycle. So, then I cruised the highways looking for club members riding north from Chicago. I hooked up with them a couple of times but they were so much older that I'm guessing they had no use for a 17-year old kid.

As a side note, the girls in my high school loved to ride behind. Their mothers however were of a different opinion. Several of those girls, now women, yet have exhaust pipe burn scars on their left calves from dismounting against the hot pipe. It is my legacy.

Oh, by the way, I was and still am 5-feet, 5-inches tall. Back then I weighed 127 pounds, although I don't weigh that now.
That's a great story. I was 16 when my folks split and my mum bought me an XT200 (yammie). I loved that bike and spent too much time on the back wheel on the road, and I felt on top of the world. Dad hated bikes (even though his dad had a HD with sidecar as their only form of transport) but I had older brothers to wear him down. Rode my brothers Katana 11 to school when I was 18 and felt i could take on the world!! Happy days

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
J.L.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walneck's Classic Cycle in the Feb. issue has a copy of Cycle Magazine's road test of the new 1958 Duo Glide. very good reading. The writer said the big 74 was as smooth and vibration free as if it had a seventeen jewel movement. Writers never change do they.

Letts