Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I figured out why my 09 FLTR pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickman53
Took the bike back to the dealer and they re-aligned the rear wheel while I waited.....rode it home and she tracks straight. He also said my rear D407 was cupped (only has 4300 mi) and is going to check with Harley Germany to see if it's covered under warranty.
Isn't that what I stated in post #13, I don't understand why you wanted suggestions when you were going to take it back to the dealer anyway.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Ain't the alignment. Look at the last few years of bikes. They cam on the axle for the right and left hand side of the bike are the same.
Its how tight the belt is that makes it pull.
Buddy had the same thing with his Screaming Eagle bike.
The HD dealer said its pulling cause of improper belt tension.
There is no way that the belt tension could be the cause of the bike pulling one way or the other.

The only scenario I could even imagine that being the cause is if the swingarm pivot was worn and sloppy enough that tightening the belt would pull the swingarm out of alignment... And if that were the case you'd have more problems than a slight pull to the left.

If the HD guy really told you that, then that HD guy is mistaken. No if,ands, or buts about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
There is no way that the belt tension could be the cause of the bike pulling one way or the other.

The only scenario I could even imagine that being the cause is if the swingarm pivot was worn and sloppy enough that tightening the belt would pull the swingarm out of alignment... And if that were the case you'd have more problems than a slight pull to the left.

If the HD guy really told you that, then that HD guy is mistaken. No if,ands, or buts about it.
Ain't there a Pully on the left side of the rear wheel with a Belt on it that hooks up to the Tranny ?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Ain't there a Pully on the left side of the rear wheel with a Belt on it that hooks up to the Tranny ?
Yes.

But the swingarm pivots in the rear of the transmission case making the swingarm and transmission essentially a rigid assembly with no side to side movement of the swingarm. Of course it's not truly rigid - the swingarm does pivot up and down.