Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I figured out why my 09 FLTR pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickman53
09 FLTR 4300 miles, love the bike but it's had a left pull since I rode it home 11 months ago. Complained to the dealer about it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I decided to troubleshoot it myself. I changed the fork oil and loosened and re-torqued the 2 lower triple tree bolts but she continued to pull. The other day I figured what the hell and removed both saddlebags to get a close look at the rear wheel axle adjuster cams and guess what? The left cam is contacting frame nub as it should, but the frikkin' right one has about a 1/16 inch gap between it and the frame nub. This means the rear wheel is angled to the right (looking down) and would most definintely cause a left pull since that tire is trying to take the whole rear end to the right. So back to the dealer she goes. it's also developed a tire vibration from the rear wheel and I'm wondering how much the aforementioned mis-alignment would contribute to this tire issue....I believe it did but have no way to prove it. Jeez eh.
Not to give you a hard time, but why do you have 4300 miles on a 2009 that was never right from day one? You should have told the dealer that if they couldn't fix they needed to get you a new bike. The bike pulling to one side is a safety issue. If G-d forbid, you lost control due to the pull, you could go after HD big time. Once the dealer found that the bike did pull they should have never let you back on that bike without fixing the issue. They left themselves and the MOCO wide open for a lawsuit. Not to mention for 20k I demand a bike that operates as it is supposed to....

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Follow up

Took the bike back to the dealer and they re-aligned the rear wheel while I waited.....rode it home and she tracks straight. He also said my rear D407 was cupped (only has 4300 mi) and is going to check with Harley Germany to see if it's covered under warranty.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Took the bike back to the dealer and they re-aligned the rear wheel while I waited
So how did they re-align the wheel?
Was it the gap in the one cam that was the problem?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Took the bike back to the dealer and they re-aligned the rear wheel while I waited.....rode it home and she tracks straight. He also said my rear D407 was cupped (only has 4300 mi) and is going to check with Harley Germany to see if it's covered under warranty.
There was an issue with the D407 tires in 09. I believe you should be able to get a replacement.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a little angle on the rear tire is normal , Nascar dose it all the time it helps to go around corners , well really if I am thinking right the cams are just to help adjust the rear wheel and after that is done you tighten down the axle and that is what holds the tire , you could really take the cams off after that

Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default rear wheel alignment

All they did was loosen the axle nut and re-adjust the cams so they both touch the frame nubs......the LH pull now appears to be gone....it was never that bad but it was noticeable.....couldn't ride no hands for more than a second or two, but now I can.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

All they did was loosen the axle nut and re-adjust the cams so they both touch the frame nubs......the LH pull now appears to be gone....it was never that bad but it was noticeable.....couldn't ride no hands for more than a second or two, but now I can.
That's great news. Glad it was minor and easy to fix. Another little item that can make your bike not track when you take your hands off the handlebars is the clutch cable.
It can sometimes push up against the fairing and makes the fairing turn right, which makes the bike pull left (counter steering).

Anyway, glad you got it worked out.

lp

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Need to git one of these #40006-85 Harley Part number. And learn how to use it.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...7&default=none

I'd post a picture of it but they would probaly think I was trying to sell something and kill this post.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

A rear wheel that is not pointed exactly straight will not cause the bike to pull to one side or the other. What will happen is that the front wheel will turn to point in the same direction as the rear as the bike goes down the road.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
A rear wheel that is not pointed exactly straight will not cause the bike to pull to one side or the other. What will happen is that the front wheel will turn to point in the same direction as the rear as the bike goes down the road.
Ain't the alignment. Look at the last few years of bikes. They cam on the axle for the right and left hand side of the bike are the same.
Its how tight the belt is that makes it pull.
Buddy had the same thing with his Screaming Eagle bike.
The HD dealer said its pulling cause of improper belt tension.

Quick Reply: Think I figured out why my 09 FLTR pulls to the left