Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I figured out why my 09 FLTR pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lp
Sorry, no conspiracy here. By the time I (myself) found the issue, the donuts were already worn (indented) into their misaligned position.

I insisted the dealer replace them because I didn't want them pulling a fast one...

lp
oh ok.......i got ya now. Yeah if it was under warranty i dont blame you. I thought the dealer was telling you they were shot.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found the snails to have a little play on the right side of the axle on my 08. I had always found that one or the other snail was snug on the stops. When I change a tire or adjust the belt I pull the snails good and snug to square the wheel and then back off from there for the correct adjustment. I have found that once you get everything tightened up it is almost impossible to hold the other side from spinning at all by myself it moves a little every time but I have become very creative. The solution for me is I back off the nut on the right side while CAREFULLY watching it does not loosen on the threads I can balance the snails with only a few degrees of backwards turning, using wrenches on both sides helps in this also. When mine has been off a little I still not notice that the bike is pulling. So I would be looking at a complete alignment of your bike for sure.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I have also had to deal with the left pull on my '10 RKC. Three visits to the dealer, and they couldn't figure anything out. I read about the clutch cable problem that fixed the issue for some on here and mentioned that to my dealer before they gave up. They confirmed that was affecting the tracking and re-routed the cable. It helped quite a bit, but I still have an issue with pulling to the left. I'm going to have my indy check the engine mounts next week, but this axle cam issue also gives me something else to check.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Could someone explain how the engine mounts or the clutch cable could cause a bike to pull in one direction or the other?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

the clutch cable is simple to explain could be tight up around and through the faring keeping pressure on the left of the bike in the front end area.
The motor mounts not only hold the motor but align as on these three components to really act as one. The motor, the transmission and the swing arm as it attaches to the transmission. These need to be all aligned straight and straight with the front wheel when it is straight. go to the Glide Pro website and watch some of his videos you will completely understand after watching those.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks SB.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Could someone explain how the engine mounts or the clutch cable could cause a bike to pull in one direction or the other?
I can't answer the clutch cable isuue. Seems to me it would have to be grossly mis-routed to the point of pulling the forks one way or the other. Can't think of anything else.

As far as the engine mounts are concerned, if they are bad or not properly adjusted then it's possible for the entire engine/trans/swingarm assembly to be out of alignment with the frame and that will definitely result in handling/pulling issues. The touring bike design with the swingarm pivot in the trans case rather than the more conventional pivot in the frame makes engine alignment especially critical. If the engine is skewed one way or the other so is the swingarm and therefore the wheel/tire.

EDIT: sickbagger answered your questions as I was writing this. Oh well - now you have two explanations saying the same thing in different words.

Last edited by 2black1s; 02-09-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

one can never to informed it is just great that everyone contributes

Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
How do you know the nubs are even or both sides of the swing arm? I know they should be but that doesn't mean they are.

Wouldn't it be better to check the alignment of the rear wheel to the front? There are a number of ways to do that.
That would have been my thought as well. Without knowing what the factory specs are, it would be difficult to determine the problem visually.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

1/16" doesnt sound like enough to do much of anything.
Before you take the bike back and show someone that cares,try adjusting the axle watching the cams.The play in the loose cam will be taken up when tightening.When the axle nut is tigtened,the cam can move a little.My '06 RG was like this and it tracked straight.Take the bike out and test it after adjusting.

Quick Reply: Think I figured out why my 09 FLTR pulls to the left