Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a frend I ride with bought a 2000 cop bike and has had no problems at all , just normal maintance , almost 50000 on it

Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Local dealer supplies them to a couple of pd's I heard a $1.00 lease. Don't know how true. Dealer does all the maintenance and makes $$ that way, then gets the bike back for resale when they get new ones. Win Win I do know that the miles are lo but time can be considerably higher. Lot of idling time during a shift. They are well maintained

Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
svoracer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading most of these posts, I see owners who had good results and those that did not. That is the reality. You need to realize that cop bikes are tools for Police Officers and they are NOT thier personal "pride and joy" except in rare circumtances. It is like buying a former Taxi cab. Some people took care and maintanence and others did not. I've trained thru one Motor school and assisted with two others. You would not believe the abuse that a cop bike goes thru in just those schools. Departments turn those in for about a $9000 credit so a dealer wanting $13000 has go a great margin and you have a large liability. On the plus side, the 103 motor & oil cooler is already installed BUT the SE Stage 2 cams are not, the ABS Police version is less restrictive on the cop bikes meaning that they can stop better w/o getting into ABS mode provided you have proper brake training, the police seat is much better for bike control handling (provided you understand how that works).
If I were to buy a cop bike, I would want to know who used it and talk with them before hand. You can get a wide range of history and care. Miles on one of these can be very harsh indeed!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by svoracer
.........the police seat is much better for bike control handling (provided you understand how that works).

Exactly how does the Police seat work?
Thanks

Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As a retired sergeant here's some thoughts on the bike. Find out from the dealer what department it came from. Then contact the department and find out if you can, are they assigned to an officer in traffic or used as a fleet vehicle within the patrol bureau. An assigned bike in traffic will be cared for MUCH better than a patrol fleet bike.

I would stay away from a bike from a large department. Think small town with a good tax base or Sheriff's dept. in a wealthy county. If they have a strong Chief or Sheriff who runs a tight department even better. If the boss had once been a motor cop, better still.

Find out if they have old bikes that are only used for motor school. Is this a motor school bike. If so it will have been dropped, a lot. The clutch will have been fried out a number of times as well.

A lot of times the radio, lights, flashlight chargers etc. will have been wired in by a high school drop out working in city garage. FLHTP's have a lot of plug and play wiring. If it's neat and clean factory or dealer installed equipment OK. If it looks shaky you will have a lot of shorts to work on sooner or later.

I had a brand new '88 FLHTP that I bought from a dealer. Great bike. The air ride seat is the best in the business. Unless I knew both the department and the assigned rider I would not buy a used motor. 29 years on the job, I know how cops mistreat city owned equipment.

The question is; Do you feel lucky?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for thought, ask the dealer if they have done all the service and ask to see the records.