Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a LEO that knows what they sell for new. I can tell you that that's not a good deal down here. If its a deal for you, its good. All Motor Officers buy their own bikes here but they have to be replaced every two years.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well don't hold out. What do they sell for new?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
TheStinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to my pictures section and see what i did with my cop-glide fron 2007 untill now...yeah its the now orange one. They are great deals and only have a few wiring changes to worry about if you want to change things. LOVE the deal i got on mine 3k miles, 1 year use and 10,5k out the door

Last edited by TheStinger; 03-06-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Cop bikes are great...and they clean up real nice.

Attached Thumbnails Police trade-in?-img_0083.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I went to the dealer and looked at the bikes today, they had three for sale. Very impressed, seems like a good deal. The one I zeroed in on was like new 2009, less than 6,000 miles. If I buy this, I think I would have to: 1) get some kind of plate or box to go where the sound system is normally located (I personally do not care for a stereo on a bike), 2) get some front running lights to replace the removed blue and red lens, 3) get some kind of trunk to mount on the bracket, 4) get some kind of slip-on mufflers, 4) get something to fill in the saddle bags trim where the "police" trim was previously.
There was too much snow and slush still on the ground for a test ride but I sat on the bike and started it up, sounds good but a little quiet. It's fuel injected so no "potato, potato, potato". But, it is a factory 103" motor, ABS, heated grips, etc.
I always ride solo, never two up. I liked the air seat.
I think I could wind up with a nice bagger for a very reasonable investment. I would really like to hear from some "Cop Glide" owners. Thanks!

Last edited by mmcbeat; 02-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Well, I went to the dealer and looked at the bikes today, they had three for sale. Very impressed, seems like a good deal. The one I zeroed in on was like new 2009, less than 6,000 miles. If I buy this, I think I would have to: 1) get some kind of plate or box to go where the sound system is normally located (I personally do not care for a stereo on a bike), 2) get some front running lights to replace the removed blue and red lens, 3) get some kind of trunk to mount on the bracket, 4) get some kind of slip-on mufflers.
There was too much snow and slush still on the ground for a test ride but I sat on the bike and started it up, sounds good but a little quiet. It's fuel injected so no "potato, potato, potato". But, it is a factory 103" motor, ABS, heated grips, etc.
I always ride solo, never two up. I liked the air seat.
I think I could wind up with a nice bagger for a very reasonable investment. I would really like to hear from some "Cop Glide" owners. Thanks!
HD has a glove box that can go in the space where the radio was and you can put a glove box bag that goes in there from HD also.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

It is a FLHT in disguise. What is a comparable EG Standard going for these days?

It all depends on how the bike was treated. If you can figure out what department had them, a visit to that town to chat with a friendly bike cop will give you a good idea how they treat the bikes.

Some departments are brutal on bikes, some treat them well.

by the time you get a seat, passenger pegs, new tires (can't run 2 up on run flats!) get a radio, a volt meter and oil gauge, a tour pack, etc etc etc, it can get pricey. Ask me how I know! I also replaced all my body work in addition to a new tour pack. Did I mention chrome? You need the chrome inner primary, button kit for the hardware, chrome this, chrome that, chrome everything.

Yes they are a blank canvas, but it is buyer beware.

started here

work in progress...

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 02-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I love my cop bike, but it's definitely buyer beware. You should pretty much assume there is going to be catch-up maintainance to do. If the clutch and brakes haven't been serviced recently, they will probably need it. And a bike that saw actual police service will have been put into civilian trim most likely by the department that was using it. Some of the wiring will probably be pretty funky.

Go into a deal on a cop bike with your eyes wide open, and only get it if you get a great price. The price should be several thousand less than a comparable civilian bike, and if it isn't you'd probably be better off with the civilian bike.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
HOGDAT
Cruiser
Default 09' flhp

I love my 09' Road King. Painted it to match my switches.LOL!! Actually going to change out the switches in the next week or two. I just didn't want another black Harley. Once the switches are changed out, one would be hard pressed to figure out that it was once a cop bike.
A lot of bike for the money. 103, ABS,etc...

Attached Thumbnails Police trade-in?-09-flhp.jpg   Police trade-in?-09-flhpi.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What should I expect to pay for a 2011 Cop Electra Glide with less than 1K miles?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Police trade-in?