Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iam happy with my 2009 cop bike. Id ask if they could throw in a set of slip ons cause that muffler just ant right.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said they had "bikes, plural. Pick out the best looking one. They probably all don't have blued pipes.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
reh13
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigalv63
I wouldn't have one of those bikes at all...let somebody else take 'em
I've got to ask why. I've never purchased a cop bike, but know guys that have. I've never heard anything bad about em'. Having said that, I'm sure someone with chime in with all kinds of horror stories about the bikes.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

That's what all of your pipes will look like with out any fuelmanagement system and riding in stop and go traffic. I would not be afraid to buy one of these bikes. I guarantee all the maintenance was done on these bikes. I think you could get alittle better deal than 13,000.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good price for 09s, if they treat them like the ones here they are maintained regularly. I have a few friends with cop bikes, all have good luck. They don't usually last to long at the dealer.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Jeez guys, if you are worried about them being abused or whatever, look it over and then ride it before you make a play for it. It if is abused you can tell with a 10 minute ride. Bad brakes, tires and paint are kind of hard to disguise if they are bad. Most cop bikes are pretty well maintained as far as fluid changes and other safety related stuff goes. I wouldn't be afraid to ride one if it checked out OK. Sounds like they are priced reasonable although I would start out a little lower than what they are asking. You can always come up if you want it bad enough. They can always come down if they want to sell it bad enough. Otherwise you have a willing buyer and a willing seller and they will set the price.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Paid $13,000 for my 2008 FLHTP with ABS (4700 miles at delivery) back in Jan 2010... mine was still under factory warranty and I purchased the extended...

Sounds like a decent price for a 2009, which has the newer frame, wider rear tire, etc. but still negotiate!

Have since added the civilian fairing interconnect harness, civilian hand controls (left and right), oil pressure gauge, the dashboard switches, cruise control, Sundowner deep bucket seat, passenger floorboards, fullsac true duals kit, Rush slipons with 2.0in baffles, Ultra Tour-pak with luggage rack, Ultra vented fairing lowers kit...

I am in the process of trying to locate a good deal on the OEM HK Stereo, and CB kit...

These police bikes are a great value (esp with the 103ci), and a blank canvas to work from. Go for it!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 09 cop glide for $12,500, 3K mi., last sept., had to put brake pads on it but other than that it passed Pa. state inspection and was ready to ride, I have no regrets and would buy another in the future.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Or, you could check around for prices on a new one. Some dealers do have new never-seen-service bikes available. I got mine ('09) new at a very reasonable price. Quite a bit less than an Electra Glide Standard (which the bike is based on), but with a lot more on it besides the obvious motor & oil cooler. Mine even has ABS. Seems most of them do, but not all. Like other guys have said, talk about a blank canvas! Most people think mine (sig pic) is based on either an SG or an Ultra. Though flattered, I never got the Ultra comparison because I don't have a radio in it yet. But you can make it what YOU want without a crazy buy-in price.

If you don't know much about Cop bikes or HD's in general, find somebody who does. Many of the Cop bikes would serve you justly, however, there are beat-up ones out there and you'd want knowledge to spot them.

A local club member bought his first HD, a Cop bike, and his has been nothing but problems. He paid a high price of about 14K for it with 12K on the clock and it's an '08. It looked beat up the first time I saw it. He bought the extended warranty, thank god... Electrical issues, fuel pump & line, throttle body (corroded) issues and much more. Constantly throwing codes. Our recent outing had his bike not being able to rev beyond 2K in the middle of a ride on a perfect day. Point is, inspect it well, find a good one and you're likely to be very happy with the bike as you can tell by the posts here.

Best of luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paid $14,200 for this 2010 Police Bike with 14.5K miles last week. I thought it was great deal 103, ABS, oil cooler, tach with "Police" badge and civilian conversion with 2011 RKC bags, paint kit, Rush slip ons, Screaming Eagle seat and some extra chrome. Still under warranty and eligible for an extension. Also know EXACTLY where it came from - St, John County. Any used bike is a crap shoot. I'm delighted!

Last edited by Fuji; 02-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Police trade-in?