Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L.E.D. turning signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Monk93
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L.E.D. turning signals

I recently purchased Kuryakyn l.e.d. front and rear turn signals for my 2005 road king custom. After installing both turn signals I noticed that the signals when depressed flashed at normal speed then flashed quickly. With that, I installed the two load equalizers that came with both turn signal packages on the auxiliary running light brake light/turn signal conversion kit. One load equalizer at each end of the auxiliary conversion kit. The turn signals no longer give off quick flashes unless I hit the brakes (L.E.D. lowprofile brade light installed too). Anyone have an answer on what to do next?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: L.E.D. turning signals

I thought you only needed 1 load eq...does Kuryakyn call for 2?

Old 10-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep installing additional load equalizers until the problem disappears - it took 3 with my RK. Makes a pretty big "lump". :-)

Old 10-07-2006, 12:25 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Keep installing additional load equalizers until the problem disappears - it took 3 with my RK. Makes a pretty big "lump". :-)
Are they worth it?

Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

I think they are - I like LED's since they will never burn out and give a brighter light than the stock incandescents.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

First, LED's can "burn out" or at least quit working. I have a Kuryakyn Panacea set for the rear that's been on Old Blue for five years, and perhaps 10 LED's on the center light are either out or intermittent. Unfortunately, this is an older Panacea model and to my surprise they don't have replacement parts for it! Okay, so this kit costs about $220 and since Kuryakyn doesn't support their products I must buy a new $220 kit because a few LED's are out? Kuryakyn says they warrant the LED's for three years, which nixs my chances for a warranty replacement. Suffice it to say that I'm not as excited about the Panacea lighting as I once was, but I will say that it truely lights up the rear of the bike, and I feel it is a worthy addition toward active safety. I was rear-ended in 1990 on a bike and I've been paranoid ever since, so the more attention I create about my presence the better.

The rear setup has its own load equalizer, and I was surprised when I recently bought a set of front Panacea lights and needed another equalizer. It works fine now, but I would think one would be enough.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Vibration may eventually cause a solder joint to fail - that's probably what's happened to your LED tail light - if you know of someone who's got a low wattage soldering iron (25 watts is perfect), the offending LED's can probably be fixed. The other possibility is an over-voltage condition which absolutely will burn out LED's (or incandescents, for that matter). You may want to check the system voltage of your bike at a fast idle - say, 2000 rpm's. We have been seeing more regulators lately going bad - especially XL's and FL's. Your voltage range should be in the 13-14.5 volt range (idle-->fast). The LED tailight is a vast improvement over the single bulb stock piece. Many cars have also gone this route and so will HD within 50 years or so :-) .

Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member

I needed two equalizers for my Panacea set up. I do notice when I activate 1 signal the other flickers slightly (hardly noticeable.) Kuryakyn sent me 2 new equalizers which I installed, then nothing worked! I put the old ones back on and deal with the flicker. I've had numerous people ask and comment on the effectiveness of the lights, especially at night. Have noticed during bright sunlight, they can be hard to see.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:57 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monk93

I recently purchased Kuryakyn l.e.d. front and rear turn signals for my 2005 road king custom. After installing both turn signals I noticed that the signals when depressed flashed at normal speed then flashed quickly. With that, I installed the two load equalizers that came with both turn signal packages on the auxiliary running light brake light/turn signal conversion kit. One load equalizer at each end of the auxiliary conversion kit. The turn signals no longer give off quick flashes unless I hit the brakes (L.E.D. lowprofile brade light installed too). Anyone have an answer on what to do next?
Have you contacted Kuryakyn tech support? Try their web site for their email address.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Or you can install one Smart Equalizer which covers the whole bike. They generate little to no heat and still allows you to use your 4-way flashers. On top of that they have a lifetime warranty. Smart Equalizer

Quick Reply: L.E.D. turning signals