Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield too tall

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groversue
save yourself a headache, just buy a new one!
headache???? for a quick $25.00 trip to a local glass company? not hardly.

oops, my tire needs air - quess I'l have to buy a new one.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidRik_Von
Cornhusker, the glass company was able to cut the top arc off of the windshield in your signature picture?
Yes, although it's not very visible in the pic. I marked a short line with a Black Sharpie and they took it from there. It can't be told from OEM. They do quite a few of them and they have the equip. For $20, it's not worth my time or sweat. JMO.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornhusker
I took mine to a local Glass company and for $20 they did a great job and it's exactly where I wanted it and still looks like factory.
I thought about doing this to a WindVest I bought that was a little too tall, but its a flip up design, so the mod would have required removal from the bottom along with 5 new holes being drilled. It was the drilling new holes part that worried me, as I wanted their placement perfect. So I just swapped out the shield for a slightly shorter one.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Take a piece of light cardboard as wide as your windshield, and trace the top of the windshield, and cut the cardboard along the line. Tape off the windshield on both sides, wider than the shoe of your jig saw, and then use the cardboard to trace the exact curve of the windshield onto the tape, where you want to cut. Extend the ends of the line to the edge of the windshield, as it will be slightly wider where you cut. The tape not only protects the shield from scratches, but also cleans the blade as you cut, preventing the plastic from melting back together behind the cut, which it will do without the tape.

You can do this without even taking the shield off your bike...in fact, it's easier than trying to support the windshield off the bike. Just use your other hand to firmly hold the shield as you cut, to keep it from jumping. 600 grit wet and dry emory sandpaper will do a nice finish on the edge. The entire job can be done in 20 minutes or less, at no cost to you if you already have the jig saw and tape. Just take your time and follow the line you traced. Your cut will be the exact shape as the original.

Some also cut off the bottom of the shield, and re-notch the mounting holes. The cut and the holes are hid by the fairing, so perfection isn't as critical as cutting the top of the shield.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 02-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Some also cut off the bottom of the shield, and re-notch the mounting holes. The cut and the holes are hid by the fairing, so perfection isn't as critical as cutting the top of the shield.

Wow, I never even thought about that. That might be the way to do it. Thanks for all the replies and the support

Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 PM
sam73801
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it both ways. Like cutting bottom on batwing windshields. It take a little more time to cut mounting holes, but visible portion remains factory edge.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
blueduramax
Cruiser

There is a UTube video on how to do the cutting yourself. Did it on my Road King and worked great.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Lwood Classic
Advanced

after you sand the cut edge, if you will rub oil ( any kind will do) over it, it really does look factory. plus, it will highlight any places that need touching up with the sandpaper. I cut mine twice before i got it where i really wanted it. simple to do.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cut my wifes shield. Piece of cake.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
rednight55
5th Gear

I always start out with a vertical piece of tape right down the middle inside. Go for a ride and make a mark where you want the height to be as you set back and roll down the road. I like to just look over the top when I am settled in. Then come back and use your cardboard template you made as described previously and lay your cut out on your vertical line. I used a fine blade on the scroll saw to cut. Be sure to throw a sheet over your bike, the plastic dust gets everywhere if you don't. I finish the edge with a flat file, sandpaper up to 2000 grit, then some polish. Check out the "finished" edge on your OEM and you will be very impressed with your work if you take your time.

Quick Reply: Windshield too tall