Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Sensor Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor Help

I need a bit of info/help on switching out my Speed Sensor on my 2000 Ultra Classic. After going through all of the previous threads, reviewing the issues I felt as though this was my issue also. I Speedo does not move at all and my digital miles do not increment at all. Gas, oil and air all work but fluxuate slightly while riding.

With that said, I went to the dealership to purchase my replacement sensor. Got home and started working on removing the old sensor. Per the previous threads I too had a huge amount of metal shavings and gunk on the end of the magnet (I'll provide pics when I get home).

My issue is that I don't know where or can seem to trace where the other end is located. I'm sure if it was a snake it might bite me but, I have not found any illustrations that show me where the connector goes. Also i've seen many people state that by "De-pinning" the old one and replace with the new one would be an easier fix. Can anyone elaborate?

I too have noticed the issue with the wire getting past the starter and from there i cannot see or trace where the wire leads to the connector.

Please Help !!!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Try this.....Remove the side cover on the right side of bike. Remove ECM, leave the wire connector attached, but pull it towards you. Once you get it away from the bike you'll see a 3-pin connector. That's the speedometer wiring. From the plug, one end goes to the speedometer, and the other is your speed sensor and goes to the transmission. When you install the new one, make sure to route it so it doesn't touch the tranny. Heat has been known to lead to early failure of the sensor in some instances and keeping it off the tranny has seemed to help.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dawg, thanks for the reply. I found out where the connector was. I thought it was behind that side panel that you instructed me to remove initially but non of the connectors were the same shape. I traced the wire going up towards the battery. I removed the seat and disconnected the battery, low and behold there was the connector bolted in directly in front of the battery.

Problem #2. I could not see how to remove the old sensor without clipping the wire. Now I understand what they were speaking of in previous posts when they were talkign about de-pinning / repinning to get the wire through the tight spot. I'm trying to practice with the old connector before trying the new one.

Any suggestions?