Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit for Tourin

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

You cant have it both ways. You have to decide what it is you want. I tried the lowered 1 in and had to ride like a geek. Went back to stock height and dont regret it, but if its for more show than go, lower is ok

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went with the 440s in 12" rear with 90/130 spring rate riding solo most of the time at 175 lbs. Put in the regular mono-tube fork shocks and all the wally swishy soft front end disappeared. Firm and controlled. Can't complain as i have a COP bike with the air-ride seat. Very happy and would not change my set up at all. Much more controlled which helps build confidence.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
psalwasser
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default progressive monotubes in 08 RK

I added the progressive motorbrace first. really tied the motor into the frame. nice around bumpy corners - you stay planted. Added the monotubes. They are strongly sprung and the dampening is firm both ways. If you are full sized and ride pretty hard, the extra control may be valued. if you are light and like a smoother ride, I recommend staying with the stock front end and just change fork oil to 10 weight and try that for some miles first. my 08 came with progressive wound springs and seemed to ride pretty well. I am ok with the monotubes, but I may have been happier saving the $250 and going with fresh fork oil. remember, you can always shim a stock spring a 1/2 to 3/4 inch with some washers at the top of the spring to give it less sag.
Myu next upgrade will probably be the swing arm pivot. poss new bearings and axle or those push in bushings. then some shocks.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
BiGdaddy77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MonoTube/&940's

I recently purchased front mono tube lowering kit and 940 UTS rear shocks from progressive suspension for my 2006 StreetGlide. Once I get my bike back from the shop I will post my 2cents also. Although anything has to be better than the stock setup. Im lowering the front 1" and running a 21" laced front DNA rim with Metzler rubber. All the post's I've seen have been nothing but positive so I'm very confident that all will go well.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my monotubes they stiffened the bike up in all the right ways no break dive and no move teeth rattling pot holes

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was able to ride my gf's Deluxe before and after the monotubes. Big difference. It handles better and there is no brake dive. I will be getting them for my bike soon.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
psalwasser
Intermediate

I am taking my monotubes out this winter when I chrome my forklegs. I am going back to my stock 08 progressive wound factory springs with 20wt fork oil. The springs are much to stiff and I pogo over concrete freeway. I'd recommned these for sidecar usage. Yeah, I flipped on my review....just too stiff and I like firm. There is no suppleness at all. I thought about shortening the spacers 1/2", but that only lowers the ride ht and does not change the spring rate. The springs did not compress much when the fork caps were installed. I am gonna talk to the rep at the rally this week and see if he'll ride my bike. After spending 2500 miles riding this summer the newness has worn off and they are just too stiff. I had great results with progressive shocks on my 01 rt beemer and did not anticipate this misengineered spring rate. I cannot even tell if the dampeners damp. the front end does not give. I weigh 220 and my spouse is not small. the front is still too stiff.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by psalwasser
I am taking my monotubes out this winter when I chrome my forklegs. I am going back to my stock 08 progressive wound factory springs with 20wt fork oil. The springs are much to stiff and I pogo over concrete freeway. I'd recommned these for sidecar usage. Yeah, I flipped on my review....just too stiff and I like firm. There is no suppleness at all. I thought about shortening the spacers 1/2", but that only lowers the ride ht and does not change the spring rate. The springs did not compress much when the fork caps were installed. I am gonna talk to the rep at the rally this week and see if he'll ride my bike. After spending 2500 miles riding this summer the newness has worn off and they are just too stiff. I had great results with progressive shocks on my 01 rt beemer and did not anticipate this misengineered spring rate. I cannot even tell if the dampeners damp. the front end does not give. I weigh 220 and my spouse is not small. the front is still too stiff.
That is incorrect. by taking the spacers out you will only make the springs less firm. These are the words from Progressive.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM
psalwasser
Intermediate
Default spoke to progressive rep at rally

I spoke to progressive rep at the rally 2 days ago. There are 2 "c" shaped 1/2" tall spacers to adjust spring rates in the kit. He showed me them and I think I remember installing them both. the kit had no recommendations for rider rates on whether or not to install them. He pointed out a 300 lb progressive employee and said he uses one per side. I think I put 2 in per side. I am going to remove them. when I was referring to cutting the spacers in prior post, I was referring to the 3 or 4" cylinder that gets installed over the monotube under the fork cap. I did forget about the adjuster c type shim or spacer and it was the dead of winter when I installed it or I would have test ridden it before I put it all back together. I am eager to dissasemble the front end and make the adjustment. thanks progressive rep at the rally for listening and showing me the kit. You may want to put in some type of rule of thumb in your instructions, but it is what it is and I am happy to get a start to get to the bottom of this.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

I have two sets. My mechanic ordered one, and I ordered one because mech said would take 4 weeks. Both showed up last week. So... I'm happy to sell one to someone for what I paid for it. $304.95 + $10 shipping. If not, I'll send it back. Happy to have someone else get them rather then waiting 4 weeks from somewhere.

This is the 1" or 2" lowered version. Part # 31-2501

Not making any profit. have receipts to prove it.

Quick Reply: Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit for Tourin