Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad for bike to sit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad for bike to sit

Dont flame me...not a noob, been riding my whole life. I have never had to worry about winterizing a bike living in DFW. My Roadking has been hibernating under a sheet for 2 months without seeing the key to the ignition. Beside the negative effects on the battery, is there anything to be concerned about as far as the engine, gaskets, etc. Just curious. It is supposed to warm up this weekend and I am planning on getting out. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need some Sta-Bil or similar fuel additive to keep it fresh.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by drjggood1
Dont flame me...not a noob, been riding my whole life. I have never had to worry about winterizing a bike living in DFW. My Roadking has been hibernating under a sheet for 2 months without seeing the key to the ignition. Beside the negative effects on the battery, is there anything to be concerned about as far as the engine, gaskets, etc. Just curious. It is supposed to warm up this weekend and I am planning on getting out. Thanks for the input.
Personally, I keep mine on a battery tender and about once a month I remove the plugs and run the starter for 2 runs of about 15 seconds each with the tranny in neutral without pulling the clutch . It pumps fresh oil into the passages, bearings, crank, top end etc. and coats everything in the driveline with oil too.

Also, I ride the bike long enough, at least 30+ miles, to get everything up to full operating temp and then top off the gas tank before storage, covered with a cotton sheet.

Of course, I live in CO and the bike can stay in hibernation for up to 6 months here.

Don't know if that really helps, but I can't see how it could hurt either.

Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

This is the first year since 2007 that I havn't been able to ride at least 1 day in each month of winter. This year I havn't been able to ride since thanksgivingMy 2010 triglide lost all but 4% of battery due to the security system & lojack, while my 07 FLH is still good to go. Battery tender is going on the trike this afternoon, & the FLH will get one as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

2 months is nothing. Make sure the battery is up.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser

thanks for all the input so far.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the fuel tank full to prevent rusting/condensation, keep her covered up with a cotton sheet or cotton cover, that will not lock moisture in. Dunno about you, but I didnt pay a kings ransom for my new bike not to winterize it. I know for a fact that stablizer works. When I went home for R&R leave from Iraq this time, I traded my 1200 custom in for my new limited. My sporty sat for 6 months with no stabilizer. When I got home and went to fire her up to go to the dealer, The slow jet was stuck and the fuel was stale, would not even fire up. Had to drain all the gas out of the tank and carb, get it fired up, would not idle, thats how I knew the slow jet was stuck. By then, the dealer had already quoted me a price, so I put her on the trailer and away to the dealer we went. When I got to the dealer, service tech rode it and confirmed my slow jet theory. I have used stabil in that bike on the 3 deployments prior to this one without a problem, when I left this time, my dumb azz did not add it because procrastinated till the last night, I figured 6 months would be kewl with out stabil, boy was I wrong. I got my quoted price, the dealer had to suck up the carb rebuild and I am the PROUD new owner of a hot rod bagger. I will NEVER fu_k up on winterizing my bike/4 wheelers again. That was a stupid mistake on my part but on the bright side, it worked out, I got 5 grand for my sporty towards the down payment on my limited, so winner winner chicken dinner for me, lmao. If you only store your bike for a couple of months, just parking it with a full tank should not hurt anything, parking it for a 4-12 month nap, I wouldnt do it. Just sayin. Stay safe and good luck with your winterization techniques.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the tender and full tank w/ Stabil.

FWIW eth gas seems to give waaayyy more grief when stale, and seems to go stale faster. The stuff we get in Portland goes to crap inside of two months sometimes w/o Stabil.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery Tender + full tank & Stabil + a few extra pounds of air in the tires to keep them from flat spotting... thats about all ya need.

Its best that you dont fire it up & let it idle for short periods in the garage. The cold idle circuit is very rich & that dumps fuel into the cylinders washing the oil away.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

All you need to do is treat a full tank of gas with StaBil, connect a Battery Tender, and cover the bike.

Quick Reply: Bad for bike to sit