Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M&M giving me fits

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Since last week I have been sick, working late & worked on a friends car, so I have not got out on the bike until this afternoon. Good news is it was a bad fuel injector, bad news is I bought a cam sensor, cam chest gasket, throttle & clutch cables plus found a crack on my exhaust. But I am on the down hill side. I put the good injector that I put in last year to the rear cyl & put the good injector that I pulled out last year to install the new injectors & put that one in the front. Starts & idles great, snap the throttle & it revs up great, now to get it back together. Will it ever end so I can just ride?

Toby

Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,777 Likes on 3,153 Posts

Well, Thanks for doin' all that and keeping us posted. I guess if that ever happens to my 2000 RG with the M&M, you'll recommend that I look at the injectors first?

Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedcherokee
Since last week I have been sick, working late & worked on a friends car, so I have not got out on the bike until this afternoon. Good news is it was a bad fuel injector, bad news is I bought a cam sensor, cam chest gasket, throttle & clutch cables plus found a crack on my exhaust. But I am on the down hill side. I put the good injector that I put in last year to the rear cyl & put the good injector that I pulled out last year to install the new injectors & put that one in the front. Starts & idles great, snap the throttle & it revs up great, now to get it back together. Will it ever end so I can just ride?

Toby
Glad to hear your bike is fixed. You didn't need our help after all since you had it pegged as an injector from the git-go. Sometimes we over think things and start doubting ourselves. Happy riding.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on keeping the bike you can install the new fi system that zippers has to replace it.A little expensive but i did it on mine and it was the best thing i ever did to that bike.It ran flawlesly for 2 years and even until now since i still ride with the guy i sold it to.It has never had any problems and all he has done is change fluids.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Nice to hear ya got it..Good Luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NMNSG08
If you plan on keeping the bike you can install the new fi system that zippers has to replace it.A little expensive but i did it on mine and it was the best thing i ever did to that bike.It ran flawlesly for 2 years and even until now since i still ride with the guy i sold it to.It has never had any problems and all he has done is change fluids.
That will be a while for a different FI. 2200.00 with the closed loop system, I am having a hard enough time getting a few hundred dollars together.

Thanks Captain Itch, hope to be getting some of your thigh coolers soon.

Toby

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

Got my new cables (clutch & throttle) on, pulled the cam chest to inspect the tensioners (looked like new @ 30,000 miles), welded my exhaust (it had a crack) & installed a new cam sensor. Just don't like the way the clutch cable is routed around the frame & have tried it in several different ways. I can't decide if it goes on the inner part of the frame, just past the brace & then to the outside of frame & then the inside of the crash bar & then up to the inner fairing. Right now I have it on the inner part of the frame but it looks like it is too close to the engine. I think sometimes I look at something & say to my self I can remember that, & then bam, I forget. Should have taken pictures. Then I noticed a puddle of brake fluid under my front tire. Will it ever end? Now I need to pull the inner fairing cap off to change the fork oil (have not done it since I have owned it so it is due). Still have not found the problem with the radio (which if it doesn't work, I can still ride). Hope to have it together soon so I can ride.

Toby

Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

Bubbas1 in step #16 https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ep-w-pics.html Is that your clutch cable on the right side of the triple tree? I know mine was routed on the left side but had a wear mark on the cable from the deflector plate & your pic may have solved my dilemma.

Toby

Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Twistedcherokee, Glad to hear that you got her running well. Sorry to hear of your other problems. Regarding the radio. The service manual gives a good run down on how to diagnose problems. The radio has a built in diagnostic program in it.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

As to the routing of the clutch cable, on my 07 the cable goes to the backside of the engine guard, the outside of the left downtube to the bottom inside of the right downtube then along the upper part of the right side frame tube to the transmission.

If you have a cracked exhaust pipe then you also probably have a broken front motor mount.

Quick Reply: M&M giving me fits