Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do ALL the K&N's blow oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 AM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless it is a VRod it is an air cooled engine.
The oil also besides lubricating the engine, serves as a way to cool it. with an aircraft reciprocating engine it may be refered to as an oil/air cooled engine. Many aircraft engines have large heat exchangers to draw heat from the engine oil.
It is not incorrect to refer to his engine as oil cooled as opposed to a water/antifreeze cooled engine.
$0.02

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 AM
cderider
Cruiser

Not a filter problem. The heads vent into the back of the air cleaner housing, oil is in the vented air, oil collects on the inside of the filter and then drips out. Depending on how hard you ride you get more or less oil. No big deal actually.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From time to time Dawg posts some information about drilling out the rocker box oil return holes to a slightly larger size. #43 drill bit the fix was easy.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ir-filter.html

I think Dawg used the Doherty Mystfree system. I did not do this whole package.

http://www.dohertymachine.com/easyriders2006.php

Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM
James_Johnston
Former Sponsor
Default Reply from K&N

Originally Posted by alkrisma
Do ALL the K&N's blow oil?

Sorry it took so long to post, I was having too much fun at the V-Twin Expo this past week. It looks like your question was answered by a lot of posters, and I want to say THANK YOU for those that did. I still wanted to chime in as well. Many of the posters are correct that it is not the air filter or air cleaner that causes the oil to drip (unless you over oil the K&N air filter, but that is not what most people are refereeing to). It is a known issue that most Harleys have a bit of blow by and the oil, unless redirected, will drip out of the air filter. To combat this, some of the stock air cleaners and the Screaming Eagle assemblies use rubber tubes to direct the excess oil back into the intake of the engine, so it does not drip on the ground.

The 63-1122P air cleaner you pictured in your first post also has a similar redirect for the oil. The excess oil will travel through the small chrome breather tube and then through a rubber hose that connect the breather tube to the main intake tube. The oil then is sucked into the engine and not out of the air filter. If you do somehow get oil coming out of the air filter with that setup, than you have a lot of blow by and way more than normal (in my personal opinion). If you went with our RK-3930, we also offer a similar redirect for the oil. The filter seals the opening of the breather in the backing plate; there are two little holes in the backing plate the leads directly down and into the sides of the throttle body opening, so all of the oil, if any, will fill the breather area of the backing plate, travel through the breather holes and get sucked into the engine, helping to lower or eliminate the oil from coming out of the air cleaner.

As a side note, I have not had anybody call saying that they have any oil dripping out while using the 63-1122 or RK-3930. I'm not saying it will not, but it is extremely unlikely that it would happen. Also if you do get the air cleaner and am unhappy with it because you do get oil coming out of the filter, please contact K&N (you can even ask for me, I am in tech support) and we will work with you to make things right.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James_Johnston
As a side note, I have not had anybody call saying that they have any oil dripping out while using the 63-1122 or RK-3930. I'm not saying it will not, but it is extremely unlikely that it would happen. Also if you do get the air cleaner and am unhappy with it because you do get oil coming out of the filter, please contact K&N (you can even ask for me, I am in tech support) and we will work with you to make things right.
thank you - greatly appreciated
I'll be getting my filter from jamie (fm) not sure on the p/n but assume it's one of your listed p/ns

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Ok, I am no expert. But I have read that Syn3 oil tends to expand as its heated, so its recommended to leave the oil level a 1/2 qt low to account for this. Syn3 is not a pure synthetic oil. With the pure Synthetics like Mobil 1 V Twin, Amsoil, Redline, just to name the better known syns, you do not get any expansion so you can top the oil off.

I run a Stage 1 kit on my glide. When you use a K&N you have to remember that the element is covered in oil to begin with so things are going to be a bit oily when you open the can anyway, plus the hoses that run into the same can from the motor that vent oil, so over the course of an oil change cycle you may get an accumulation of oil, but I have not had mine ever actually drip oil out and make an oily mess. Summer before last I did have to change those rubber hoses because one had cracked at a bend and oil had seeped out. Maybe those rubber hoses need to be looked at if you are dripping oil.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I cleaned the junk out of this thread so it could remain on the board.

Please keep it on track and quit the pissing contest.

Admin