Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FCKNG Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FCKNG Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

The kit is plug and play with no rewiring required. Just remove the seat, unplug the harness to the rear lights and plug in the module. Hard to screw up the install of that. There is a difference between the intensity of the running light and brake light. The problem is that the running lights are very bright. I don't think they compensated enough with how they control the voltage to the single filiment bulb. Like Rideon stated, there isn't enough voltage difference. It should have been more like 6/12 to have a better contrast and not cook the lens.

Looks like I may pull it now, instead of waiting for it to cook the stock lens.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
99igor
Cruiser

I originally had that kit in my bike. I changed it over to dual filiment bulbs and havn't looked back. More light in the rear the better.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Biketronics Tailbones and Smart Equalizer on mine. The Tailbones is a run/turn/brake module and the Smart Equalizer is self explainatory. There is a very noticable difference on mine between the running lights and brake lights even in the daytime. And that is coming from people riding behind me. I think this has alot to do with it.

Most load equalizers place a load back on your electrical system, this wastes power and reduces the brightness of your LEDs. Smart Equalizers solid state units that trick the load dependent flasher into thinking there is a load when LEDs are present. Consumes less power than typical load equalizers. Smart Equalizers produce little or no heat. Delivers more power to your LEDs resulting in brighter light. Plug and Play. One Smart Equalizer covers the Entire Bike.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting--I have the setup on my 06 RG and haven't noticed any of those problems, including any complaints about visibility. When I hit the brakes there's a noticeable increase in brightness--like twice as bright. I'll take a look at it this weekend, though.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

AGAIN, totally agree with BG Weasel!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The running/brake is a aux setup, if your running all over people why are you not watching the big one in the middle that is the brake lite you should be watching.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

Seeing that these are mass produced modules, it's not surprising that some are working as advertised and some are pushing too much voltage to the filament while in running light mode. I checked the lens after my 11 mile ride home and the lens was too hot to touch, so it would be just a matter of time before it starts cooking the lens. I'll be pulling the module off of it tonight and ordering the Panacea setup shortly.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had the Kuryakyn kit since new. Installed myself over 12,000 miles ago and works like a charm. I think the incandescents are brighter that the LED's anyway, so I only had to install the converter and red lens'. I retained the "brake/flash" option which really gets peoples attention. No melting or discoloration at all. 3 running lights across the back beats 1 anyday. Ride safe.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:04 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am on the fence with this one. I too was planning to install the HD kit, as more lights MUST be safer. However, time to sit back and wait on this to shake out as I plan to do with the Draggin Baggers kit.

Does anyone make a flicker module similar to headlight modulators that increase the visibility of stock bulbs?

Old 10-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the new style HD kit on mine. No complaints so far. If I can remember to check it out next time I ride I'll see if there is excessive heat.

Quick Reply: FCKNG Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit