Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Accident Help Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle Accident Help Thanks

So I was traveling eastbound on a 3 lane highway i was in lane 3 closest to the sidewalk because I was going to make a right hand turn at the approaching light.

There is a McDonald's right before the light and a drive way where people get back on the road etc...

So I am heading eastbound and I see a car approaching the drive way I slow my bike down just incase...

Well this a##hole just pulls his car out a little further and I so I approach safely and he does not even look and im all up on him skidding my tires and he then looks to his left and stops. At this time I do my best to avoid him but I couldnt so I drop my bike and hit my helmet on his front fender a bit.

I walked away with some road rash on my arms legs and hip and a bit of a head ache.

The guy trys to leave and I was able to catch up to him and make him stay tell LAPD rolls up..

LAPD takes the report and and places the driver at fault of causing the accident even though his car had no damage.

My bike needs to have some things re powdercoated, right bag needs paint crash bar needs to be replaced and my front batwing needs paint. sucks but it is what it is...

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them... what was the insurance companies thoughts... Did they rule in your favor... I know its not my fault and so does the police but I am nervous....

our thoughts...thanks

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

Usually if they are cited you have a pretty good case.
I'd take him to the cleaners.......

Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the police report is filled out properly (you better read it carefully) you should be home free!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM
23scum1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to freak you out but I just went through a case were though I was cited at fault the insurance companies agreed it was a 50/50 split. So there's no written rule becuase he was cited that yours and his company might determine there is a ratio of fault it could be 60/40. Good luck

Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know how the laws work in your state, but here in Fl even though it's a no-fault state, if one driver is cited and the other isn't, his insurance will be paying. Make sure to get a copy of the report and the officers name and badge, also a witness wouldn't hurt. Glad hear you are ok, that's the most important thing.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are OK. That could of been a lot worse. Your defensive thought process saved your *** very quickly. Hope it all works out.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

[quote=denalion22;78751LAPD takes the report and and places the driver at fault of causing the accident even though his car had no damage.[/quote]

Use to do triathlons and was involved in an accident where a car pulled out infront of me in a race and I avoided the t-bome by going in the ditch. Initial opinion by SO was that there wasn't an accident report necessary as there was no contact. Bull$hit... traffic laws indicate if a vehicle is the causitive action... even with no contact there is an accident. They took the report and the jerk payed damages for my $3000+ bicycle and my injuriues. In your case if they took a report and especially if they cited him you are golden. Glad you are OK! Avoid agricultural excursions at all costs!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
denalion22
Road Master

Thanks guys. Talked to my ins. They say I'm not at fault based on my story. And the police report saying he's at fault.

Get this. I called his ins and they said the ins # he gave me expired. However based at the time of the accident 42 mins later he went and paid his ins so they said he had a lapses in coverage.

Fml go figure no ins. So I will probably have to pay my deductible oh well as long as the accident is his fault which it is.

I'm glad im cool. But I'm bummed that my bike is jacked. It will get fixed though and I'm sure it will be improved. Thanks again guys.

If anyone else has similar experiences please chime in.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 PM
denalion22
Road Master

Originally Posted by SUPRPIG
Use to do triathlons and was involved in an accident where a car pulled out infront of me in a race and I avoided the t-bome by going in the ditch. Initial opinion by SO was that there wasn't an accident report necessary as there was no
contact. Bull$hit... traffic laws indicate if a vehicle is the
causitive action... even with no
contact there is an accident.
They took the report and the
jerk payed damages for my
$3000+ bicycle and my injuriues.
In your case if they took a
report and especially if they
cited him you are golden. Glad
you are OK! Avoid agricultural
excursions at all costs!
Cool good to hear. Thanks