Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got into an accident 1st time.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like it was her fault but she kind of got in a bad spot. Glad your OK. What kind of damage did her cage get? Enough that she needed tow too?

You know I'm thinking that maybe I should check my insurance to see if they offer free rentals, that's a long time to have to wait.

Incidently Rick, if that is not your girlfriend in your avatar, please tell her I want to meet her. Thanks.

Last edited by cromagnon; 02-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Big Toe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to here your a okay. I NEVER give a gap to let anyone through. They may think I am a Dick but keeps people from hitting anyone else.

Originally Posted by rick
Lady was making left in between cars that were stuck in traffic to go into a shopping plaza.The cars gave her a gap to go thru but she didnt see me. She stuck her nose out and i tried to maneuver but ended up hitting her front bumper.Engine gaurds took the blunt but the chain reaction took the rest. Towed to the dealer,afterwards told the frame has to be replaced among other things as well as the front fender(which was actually damaged by the engine gaurd).

Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99
Am I missing something here? You always read about bikes that have salvage titles but with only minor cosmetic damage.
You said frame needs replaced & still see 7k damage. When, what, where, how, etc does an insurance company deem a bike totalled??? Just confused but then again that doesn't take much.
Anyways, glad to hear "you" came out ok in this.
I have a buddy who got hit here in FL the year before last, over 10k in damage, they said since all new parts were used in the rebuild it wasn't considered salvage. But just in case there is a place off of SR 84 in Davie FL that deals with salvaged and wrecked bikes, sure they could answer any questions.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really glad to hear that you came out of the accident OK, that's #1! Typically the insurance will provide a rent-a-car, not a motorcycle, only for the time the bike is under repairs, not storage. Also the ins. co. will often issue a 2-party check where both sign, if that's the case return it and request a 1-party check (made out to you of course). You need not fix exactly what is damaged, but at a dealership you'll only get your bike back as it was but with no scratches on it. If you have a talent for some basic repairs and know trustworthy independent mechanics, this may be something to consider. My dealer ship offered me my bike back for $6K with out a scratch, but instead I paid the $160 estimate cost, took the bike home, ordered parts from Chicago HD and Zanotti's, did the work I could do on my own, and had one of the best machinists in SoCal put together a 100+ HP Stage III+ setup including a 2-1 SuperTrapp system, chrome front end and floating rotors...definitely a lot better than getting the bike back as it was (Stage II) with no scratches...and I spread the money around, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Salvage Title

As far as the "salvage" title is concerned, here in CA the only way that comes into play is if the insurance company totals the bike and then you buy it back from them. In that case the original title goes to the insurance company and then anyone they sell it to gets a salvage title.

In your case since the bike is not "totalled", you won't need to worry.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick
The problem i got is i'm all set for leesburg and this is putting me in a bad way. I really dont want to have to rent a bike for the trip.
Just like you would do if it was your car, her insurance should pay for a rental. I would be looking for that if it was me. Just saying!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

It took my Stealer 6 months to get my bike back together this past summer and fall. Kept telling me they were waiting on the painted parts (front fender and tank). After they finally got them in, I had to wait 6 more weeks for the Speedo. Moral of the story. Don't give them the money until they are finished.

Glad your OK.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

A deer hit a bud I was riding with from the side a few years back. She hit him right in front of the engine guard. It bent the engine guard. That was the only real damage to the bike. He didn't go down.

The dealer he took the bike to for an estimate said that any time the flat tab on the frame that the engine guard bolts to is bent, you have to replace the frame. They quoted him $1,800 for the frame and the book rate at the time was 40 hours labor to replace the frame.

The deer also cracked one of his bag lids. They told him that since his bike wasn't new, the new bag would never match perfectly, so they ordered a new paint job for the whole bike. The total was just over $7,000. He took the money, straightened out the tab in about two seconds, bought a $300 crash bar and pocketed the rest.

Dennis

Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Hey Rick

Glad your ok . I wish they made a BELL for old ladies and Gremlins. If someone doesn't see your bike they shouldn't be driving.

Tom

Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
bamahemi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Toe
Glad to here your a okay. I NEVER give a gap to let anyone through. They may think I am a Dick but keeps people from hitting anyone else.
This is a good point. It seems like you're being a nice guy to leave a gap for someone to turn through, but you really put both the person who is turning and any other car(s) pulling along side you in the other lane at risk when you do this. If all the players are not 100% on the same sheet of music, bad things can happen (as the OP knows first hand).

Quick Reply: got into an accident 1st time.