Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need oil change location when touring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
in this day and age, it would be foolish to let some stranger on to your property and around your family and belongings. this is a bad idea. if you can afford to take road trips-you can afford to take it to the dealer.
Double Ditto, you have no idea whose coming to dinner and you could be on the menu.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Change it before you leave for the trip.

5 - 6 thou intervals on todays oils. I wouldn't be afraid to push it a lil further if the trip required it.
No need to trust a stranger who already knows you are from out of town and will never see you again.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

If you're really going to tour further than 6,000 miles or so, pull into an Autozone, buy the oil and a cheap drain pan, change the oil in the parking lot, and leave the pan full of oil there for them to recycle. Or you could pay a dealer to do it. Less than a 6,000 mile trip and you're fine on fresh oil.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
griffy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with 05Train. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, NAPA and Car Quest usually have recycle stations. And if you buy your oil there they will let you use a drain pan. I usually do the deed in the back of the store at the recycle dump. griffy

Old 02-05-2011, 04:57 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a pretty sad thread to read. My what we have become!!! "in todays day and age"??? lets not forget its us making it that way!!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pittz5
This is a pretty sad thread to read. My what we have become!!! "in todays day and age"??? lets not forget its us making it that way!!
If your referring to exposing our families to the possible nuts on the road, I don't follow your comment. You may help 100 good folks but it's that one nut that will ruin your day.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 69cj
If your referring to exposing our families to the possible nuts on the road, I don't follow your comment. You may help 100 good folks but it's that one nut that will ruin your day.
Are you okay with that one who uses your bathroom and is found going through your wifes underwear drawer?
Afterall, it's only one guy out of 100.

I'm with the "don't trust strangers" persons.
Maybe I'll settle for the "trust but verify" lingo. LOL

If I don't invite you in, less chance anything of value will be missing when you leave.

No, it's not us. It's "they". LOL
I agree it's hard to read (and hard to accept), but it's the reality of the times.

When I was young, I never felt reluctant to hitch hike across the country.
Met some wonderful people (and a few F*gs).
Would I feel safe doing that today? Hell no! The world as we knew it has changed.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

LMAO...thats funny!!.. I understand that it is the way it is and that times change. Use common sense and we will all be ok. by the way Im in Reno if you need a garage..lol

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not MY house but if coming through St. Louis area... Big St. Charles Harley will be glad to help you out. Right on highway 70.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

No, it's not us. It's "they". LOL
I agree it's hard to read (and hard to accept), but it's the reality of the times.

When I was young, I never felt reluctant to hitch hike across the country.
Met some wonderful people (and a few F*gs).
Would I feel safe doing that today? Hell no! The world as we knew it has changed.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

I think you have changed. So have I and just about every other middle aged and older person. Unfortunately, we become less self sufficient (except financially) and less self confident in strange surroundings.

I also hitch hiked and rode solo from coast to coast depending on some kindness of strangers. It can probably still be done by the young and brave but they will have a more difficult time coming across Americans equally brave enough to take in a stranger.

I think that I just talked myself into contradicting my beginning sentence. It is a different world (at least in the USA). Since 9/11, Americans have become pussies. We are a nation in fear. BOO!

Quick Reply: Need oil change location when touring?