Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Wheel opinions please!

So, I've been beating around the idea of changing wheels on my RKC with the idea of getting away from spokes and tubless tires. My question: Is there a cast wheel on the planet that won't ruin the look of the bike! I'm about to pull out what remaining hair I've got and I'd appreciate any input that anyone might have. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Input...
Your bike is a 10 just the way it is! Don't mess it up man!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

RKC = Wire wheels w/ WWW tires. I don't see it any other way.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albatross
So, I've been beating around the idea of changing wheels on my RKC with the idea of getting away from spokes and tubless tires. My question: Is there a cast wheel on the planet that won't ruin the look of the bike! I'm about to pull out what remaining hair I've got and I'd appreciate any input that anyone might have. Thanks for any ideas.

If you want to keep the same look but want a tubless set up you could go with a Ride Wright Fat Daddy 50 wheel with the bigger chrome spokes. The spokes are sealed on the inside and tubeless. I've run DNA Mammoth black spokes for 3 years with no problems with leaks or any other problems. A lot of the guys on here put down DNA wheels but I think they are great from my personal experience.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Thumbs up Cast Wheels

I think you're heading in the right direction with cast wheels vs billet. Spent $3K on PM
setup without realizing how HEAVY the wheels are. Don't get me wrong - beautiful and
quality is tops; run two bearings on the pulley side. But, dang their just soooo heavy.
OK, enough rant. If any stock HD wheel looks decent, Classic Components Chrome in
SoCal buffs them out smooth removing ridges etc. and chromes them like some of the
CVO wheels. I've seen the wagon wheels and dish wheels that are very attractive at
half of HD prices - exchange. Google them for info. IMO their quality is tops too.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The H-D Knuckle fully chrome wheels might look ok with the wide whites.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24 spoke forged chrome billet

Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguy1946
If you want to keep the same look but want a tubless set up you could go with a Ride Wright Fat Daddy 50 wheel with the bigger chrome spokes. The spokes are sealed on the inside and tubeless. I've run DNA Mammoth black spokes for 3 years with no problems with leaks or any other problems. A lot of the guys on here put down DNA wheels but I think they are great from my personal experience.
Ditto... ZERO issues at all.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Wheel Works, Garden Grove, CA

If you want to keep the look you have, Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA, will line your
wheels for tubeless tires for about $60 each. They carry most popular tires too so you
can get a new set mounted and balanced at the same time. Been around a long time
with lots of satisified customers. No, I have no connection to them - just see them at
the bike shows around here and know several guys that have gone that route. Too old
to dirt bike and won't have anything to do with tubes again. IMO.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys have been riding HD's with tubes and spokes for oh, well, a long time.

Leave it the way it is, looks good.

Quick Reply: Wheel opinions please!