Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Seat For A Bad Back

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmurray
I use a Corbin Solo with ridders backrest. The couture of the seat and the backrest itself provide needed support. I can ride all day without a back problem. It when I get off and stand for a long time thats when I get sciatica pain.
I have sciatic nerve issues too. Sucks, I'm only 30. I hurt my right knee pretty good a couple years ago and have walked with a somewhat noticeable limp ever since, and now I have the nerve pain on the same side as the bum knee. The stock seat was terrible. I tried the cop seat but didn't like how it felt like I was going to be dumped off onto the fender every time I pinned the throttle. It also applied more pressure to my junk than I was comfortable with.

Had a Corbin on my last sportbike and was pleased with it. Finally broke down and bought a classic solo, passenger pilion, and backrest from ebay after watching for awhile, buying used I paid about half price for everything (score!). I haven't mounted it to the bike yet but sitting on it in the house it's just perfect, it's cradling support instead of just sitting on a flat cushy surface. I can't wait to ride with it this year once the weather clears up.

I'm probably still doing apes this year as well to force me to lean back against the backrest, which should help some too.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with many others.........BACKREST! Also have a bad back, but since putting the backrest on, can ride all day long. (well almost all day.)

Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich`s Custom Seats in Kingston, Wa. He redone the stock seat on the 2009 RK amazing what the difference it made. L4-L5 fused here as well. Can ride alot longer than I can sit in a car. Also have 16 inch wild 1 bars on the bike as well. He shaves off the foam and does a combo of memory foam tops it off with gel if you want. Good luck

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The RKC sundowner seat has the basket weave leather like on your saddlebags and if you use it with the adjustable backrest, its a great combo. If you dont ever ride two up though, I wouldnt get the sundowner. The back part of seat is pretty large.

Last edited by 1931jamesw; 02-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sundowner seat and love it; this is combined with Heritage Style bars and the Harley standard rider backrest. This is a good combo for me. It is not too hard to score a used Sundowner seat in the classified section here for $100 bucks off or so. If you like apes, that would be a good thing to get too in combination with the backrest. I am happy with the standard backrest and not sorry that I did not spend the extra $ on the adjustable one.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjustable driver's seatback on my Mustang solo sure helps.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a crushed T8 and have 16" apes, back rest, and air ride cop seat. I had this combo on the last two bikes, and can ride all day long with no probs at all. Leaveing for Daytona from Houston 3-5 and planning to ride to Talahasse first day. Did it last year on my 05 and was fresh as a daisy.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Trust me, whatever seat ya pick, it gotta be one with a backrest

Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
02RKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seat

Originally Posted by hdoilcan
The yr of my bike is 2010. Well the handle bars was going to be my next question. Before the RK I had a Softail Standard and that was the only bike I ever had that didnt have 15" ape hangers (4 bikes b4 that all had them). It had drag bars. My arms used to always go numb, instead of changing everything this time I just bought what I dreamed of (RKC). Gotta say my body is beat to hell from construction lol. Anyways my point is I am most comfortable with ape hangers. Do you think they would help put me in the position I need to be in?
Thanks for the great replies.
I've had 2 back surgeries, the last one was a full fusion I have an 02 RKC and an 09 SG. I switched out seats and BARS on both, the RKC has a gelled LePera with backrest and 12.5 Wild1's, the 09 has a Sundowner Deep Bucket with backrest and 12.5 Wild1 bagger apes. The backrest and bars are a must if your doing any long distance riding, the seat and bar changed my ride and made it more comfortable, adding the backrest is a life saver. I would hate to think our riding would have to change, the wife and I love to throw a pack on the back and take off for the weekend; we normally put 1200 - 1500 miles on the bike over the weekend. Before all was switched out we were only doing local rides and taking a lunch/dinner break before heading home. Good luck and ride safe.

Doug

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best $50 riding investment I ever made. I have a bum disc as well.
I run the stock E-Glide seat, this back support makes you sit right.
My issue was not seat / backrest support, it was a posture - slouching thing.
I had a $600 mustang seat, it was comfortable but it was more like a band-aid than a cure to the issue.

From a fashion standpoint..I have to wear a cut anytime I'm on two wheels so the support does not show. I seldom wear it on short runs, but for any trip longer than 150mi I won't leave home without it.
If you are a T-shirt / Shades kind of guy, it may not be for you as it has a dork factor. On the other hand If you carry, it works out well.

Back A Line

Quick Reply: Best Seat For A Bad Back