Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Seat For A Bad Back

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
hdoilcan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The yr of my bike is 2010. Well the handle bars was going to be my next question. Before the RK I had a Softail Standard and that was the only bike I ever had that didnt have 15" ape hangers (4 bikes b4 that all had them). It had drag bars. My arms used to always go numb, instead of changing everything this time I just bought what I dreamed of (RKC). Gotta say my body is beat to hell from construction lol. Anyways my point is I am most comfortable with ape hangers. Do you think they would help put me in the position I need to be in?
Thanks for the great replies.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

C&C solo with a backrest should do you well.

Drew

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
StL Mike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your money, send your seat to Mean City Cycle and have them install memory foam. The best change you can make for your back is to add a back rest. If you are most comfortable with apes, then by all means, add apes. By the way, L5-S1 fused, currently recovering from having L4-L5 fused as well.
Mike

Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got some problems too, and I don't think they're going to get any better. Sucks gettin' old. But I'm banking on the same seat Chief40al is toutin' there, and bought one off of e-bay to find out. Although I haven't mounted it yet, but I've heard over, and over again, that if you want some help with shock absorption the police seat is the way to go. Those frost heaves, and pot holes are like sending a shock wave down my spine. The ol' back just can't take it anymore. I'm prolly gonna PM ol' chief and find out more about that great back rest he's got going, which just makes the whole idea that much more appealing.

Also, you might want to give the "hammock" seat a gander. That seats got about two inches of travel/absorption due to their unique design.

And yeah, as long as you can reach it (not leaning forward for the handlebars), the backrest is second to none for lumbar support. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

L4 & 5 herniated disks here - had a lumbar laminectomy a year ago and it helped a lot but now I have problems with other disks.

I use a Corbin Solo with ridders backrest. The couture of the seat and the backrest itself provide needed support. I can ride all day without a back problem. It when I get off and stand for a long time thats when I get sciatica pain.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The best change you can make for your back is to add a back rest.
I have a bad back and I couldn't ride 20 minutes without one. With one I can ride all day no problems.....and then ride again the next day.

SEATS: I've tried the HD Sundowner, Corbin, Mustang, HD Pillow Look, 2 different seat companies that reworks stock seats and by far the best/most comfy seat I have is a take off seat off a 2008 Road Glide.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Always remember to do what Whiskers said about sitting up straight. Posture is something that is easy to forget about. My wife has 10.5 inches of fusion in her back (scoliosis).We use a Mustang Regal Touring. No complaints from her.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,166 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Backrest is the key. If you feel pretty good on the seat then the backrest will make it really nice.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,166 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman
That seat is sweet... who is it by? C&C...

Quick Reply: Best Seat For A Bad Back