Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 6 speed transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
jroux
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket 6 speed transmissions

I'm goign to change the 5 speed in my 04 Roadglide to a 6 and am thinking of an aftermarket one. I see Baker, Ultima & Revtech units out there, are they worth it or should I spend the extra G note and get the Screaming Eagle?

Joe

Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Baker has been around for ever, Ultima is fairly new. Dont know much about Revtech. I would go Baker if it was me. My brother had an Ultima motor and Baker tranny in his custom and it seemed fine. I think the Ultima is on the cheaper price range.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Baker is head and shoulders ahead of the others, including the SE. Great price on the Ulitma, "reconditioned" six speeds are selling for $399.95 but they have mixed reviews. I have only known one individual that ran an Ultima six speed in a softail and he had no serious issues but did have two ****ling issues; occassionally the tranny would pop out of first gear and the neutral light did not work after the trans was installed. Other than that, he was quite happy with the unit. I suspect that the first gear problem could be addressed with a shift fork adjustment and that the neutral light problem had a simple fix. Revtech six speeds have a history of failure but, to Revtech's credit, they will replace the unit free, no questions asked. The customer just has to bear the cost of the trans R/R and the downtime inconvenience.

Personally, I don't see the need for six gears on a Harley unless you roll up 50K touring miles a year. But, if I was going that route, Baker would be my choice.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
whistlebritches
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hands down Baker....i run a DD6....but i have ran the Ultima with good results on a chopper....i have never and wont ever buy a revtec anything...i did consider the SE....on my 06 SG the DD6 is 3k at 80mph .. with thier 28 tooth front sprocket....Baker is a smooth trans....shafts and gears are of superior material and workmanship...Bert Baker is an American badass in making cool stuff

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to any major rally and Baker is there with bikes they will let you ride to see what you want. The owners are there to talk with you and answer any questions. If you look at there product next to OEM there is no comparison. If I ever decide to change trannies, no brainer it will be a baker, would love to have that 7 speed.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
mnr60
Cruiser
Default 6 speed

I found a used Baker OD6 for my '01 Ultra.
The difference it makes in gas economy is not noticable.
The difference it makes in riding is great, the engine is no longer "screaming" at 70+.
For the money it is not worth the swap, for the riding enjoyment best upgrade I did (so far).

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
jroux
Intermediate

The reason I want it is to have that last gear available, which my bike is craving. It's an 88 bored and stroked to a 103, high comp. heads with the compensator in it as well. I'm not looking to go 200 mph just pick up some milage and lower rpm's on the hiway/long rides.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM
whistlebritches
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with your combo...buy the Baker and complete the driveline

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both the baker and the revtech.No issuses with either one but i would reccomened the baker due to that it shifts smoother and is a little less noisey.Also why not consider the baker dd7??

Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I can see the attraction of a 6-speed and personally would choose a Baker DD6. But I have an S&S 107 in my old Glide and it sings along a treat at speed on stock Evo gearing. I don't want to upset a good working relationship!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 6 speed transmissions