Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 6 speed transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I can see the attraction of a 6-speed and personally would choose a Baker DD6. But I have an S&S 107 in my old Glide and it sings along a treat at speed on stock Evo gearing. I don't want to upset a good working relationship!
I'd have to agree with you on this one. I understand some folks wanting a 6 speed. I'm fine with the gearing and the 6 speed in my new Limited. Having said that my prior Harley's all had 5 speeds and I never saw the cost/benefit to ever upgrade to a 6 speed. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 AM
jroux
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks guys. Obviously most here like the Baker setup. My concern for the Revtec and Ultima are their ability to put up with a heck of a lot of torque (which is what I get from this bike). I'm a bit surprised no one spoke of the Screaming Eagle upgrade (about the same $$ as the Baker).

Joe

Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Baker is the best.

~Joe

Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 AM
whoop72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you're looking, take a look at the JIMS. I have one in my custom bike, and it is so much better than the transmission in my RG that it isn't funny. I personally would stay away from REVTEC.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

baker seems to be top O' da line when it comes to harley transmissions. i have a chopper with the ultima trans and it seems much less clunky than the harley trans in my 08 sg, but the bakers rule. if you can afford it, go with the baker.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Badgerbob
Cruiser

I am running the sc eagle but for the same money, I should of went to the baker just for the superior gearing that they use. I, too have lots of torgue and it seems to be holding up so far. But like I said for the little money diff I would have rather went to Baker. In Canada, our choices are minimal, because the we still almost pay double here even if are dollars are close to yours. Stay safe and keep the rubber down. Just my.02 worth.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I have run the Screamin' Eagle 6 Speed for six years behind a real healthy 95 incher. It's been great. Same gearing as stock in the first 5 gears with an overdrive sixth for the road. It's 80 m.p.h. at 3000 r.p.m. vs. 3000 at 70 with the 5 speed. It's a great tranny and although you can get more variation in ratios from a Baker I don't think the quality is any better. Both are fine units, will last a long time, and be trouble free. Rev Tech recalled all their six speeds a few years back. Remember, if a tranny locks up at speed your rear wheel will lock up and there ain't nothing you can do. Pulling in the clutch won't help.

One thing, after going to a six speed on my hot cammed, high compression twin cam, my highway gas milage dropped. The motor isn't running at optimum r.p.m. at highway speed in sixth. It's nice to have the motor loafing at 80, but it cost gas milage, it didn't increase it.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baker DD6

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Heathen
Tourer

I run a Jims Fat Five , Its built to handle torque. But if you have to have 6 speeds Baker would be a good choice.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Going against the grain here, but the S/E is your best option if you're dead-set on doing a 6-speed, which I'd advise against unless you spend 30,000 + miles a year doing highway riding. The S/E is a true overdrive, the Baker DD6 isn't. It also has less parasitic loss than the Baker, and has fewer issues. And it's almost a grand cheaper. Give Dave a call at JD's Cycleworks in PA to verify all this.

With that said, I think it's a waste of money. I've got the S/E on the 'Train, and it's a really slick-shifting transmission (like a rifle bolt). It does relax the bike a bit at highway speeds. But the $1700 I spent on it could have gotten me a 117 rather than a 103.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 6 speed transmissions